Let's Sticker & Paste

Sylvia_scj

Mandarin
Hi,

There is a children's book by Kumon entitled "Let's Sticker & Paste". So I was wondering if "sticker" in this title is a verb. If so, does it sound natural to say "Let's sticker"?

Thanks in advance.

CJ

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I've never seen 'sticker' used as a verb, but the alternatives such as "use stickers" or "stick down stickers" don't make very good book titles.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I'd like to know where the book was produced. 'Stick' is a perfectly good verb. "Stick and Paste" is snappy, while 'sticker and paste' annoys me.
    I hadn't heard of this particular series. Similar educational publishers employ local staff, not native speakers, for the local language version.
    A sticker is something that can be stuck. To me, it's as strange as 'cutter and paste' would be.

Sylvia_scj

Mandarin
    I'd like to know where the book was produced. 'Stick' is a perfectly good verb. "Stick and Paste" is snappy, while 'sticker and paste' annoys me.
    I hadn't heard of this particular series. Similar educational publishers employ local staff, not native speakers, for the local language version.
    A sticker is something that can be stuck. To me, it's as strange as 'cutter and paste' would be.
    Thanks. The publisher is Kumon Publishing North America. It's a title for a series of workbooks for children and the books sell very well on Amazon. And I didn't find any customer reviews stating that the title is odd or something. I am very confused.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Sticking stickers is one of the less creative activities for little kids. "Sticker and paste" echoes "cut and paste", which is computer-related and therefore more cool. It sounds a little more creative and busy to me than "Let's sticker". "Stick and paste" would not obviously be referring to a sticker activity - more to some kind of collage, I think.

Busy mums like stickers because they don't make a mess. "Stick and paste" in the context of an enthusiastic three-year-old equipped with scissors and a tube of glue kind of terrifies me:D.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    As I said, this usage is perfectly normal in AE. As you can see, however, it is a usage which some native speakers find irritating.

< Previous | Next >