letter D

asdqwe123

n/a
please guys can you explain to me how you would pronounce the letter D, ill give you some examples if you want to tell me where the tonge goes ill will really appreciate it.

Dani
Dentist
Die
Dumb
don't
Day

• Musical Chairs

Japan & US, Japanese & English
    Hmmm...I would close my mouth, put my tongue at the front touching both rows of teeth, and breathe out as you make a sound and open your mouth.

Musical Chairs

What's your native language? Because maybe you could compare it to a sound you know already and go from there.

Musical Chairs

do you speak all those languages??

as far as I know, the English 'd' is pretty similiar to the Spanish 'd'...

Loob

English UK
    Hi asdqwe123 and welcome to the forums.

This site will give you an excellent indication of how D is articulated and pronounced in (American) English; and, for comparison purposes, in Spanish. You can also compare with German if you want to!

For the English D, click on American English, select stop, select /d/, and finally click on "play" to see the animations.

To compare with the Spanish D, click on Spanish, then
    • for D at the beginning of a word, click on oclusivas, then [d]
    • for D at the middle or end of a word, click on espirantes, then [ð].
    Hope this helps

Loob

AWordLover

USA English
    Thanks Loob, I'm looking forward to playing with that site.

I have a slightly different position for my tongue than Musical Chairs. My tongue touches the roof of my mouth and almost touches the back of my teeth. My tongue does NOT touch the back of my teeth.

EDIT: I went to the site, and think that the animation for English matches my description.

Loob

English UK
    I agree with you, AWordLover: the tongue doesn't touch the teeth in the English D. That's one way in which the English and the Spanish (initial) D differ, of course....

I'm glad you like the site. I can't claim originality: it was posted as a link by Outsider in one of the Spanish forums, and I believe he learned about it from another forero. But I guess sharing information is what these forums are all about:)

All the best

Loob

sole23

argentina castellano
    place the tip and the blade of the tongue on the elevation behind the upper teeth.

place a pencil behind the upper teeth to prevent the tip and blade of the tongue from touching the upper teeth .

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    Do you have a t sound, as in the word tall, in your language? If so, the d sound is made the same way except it is voiced which means your throat vibrates. The t is unvoiced so your throat does not vibrate.

Orange Blossom

< Previous | Next >