Letter: Opening - using a middle name in a letter salutation

springo

Spain
Hi,
If I have to write a formal letter to a person, say Mr John H Miller, how should I start it?
Dear Mr Miller,
Dear Mr H Miller,
Dear Mr John H Miller,
etc.
Thank you very much.

• Matching Mole

England, English
    Welcome to the forums Nadae.

"Refer to him" can mean a lot of things. What do you mean, exactly? Do you mean can you say "Dear Mr H Miller"? It's not usually considered correct to use a person's initial when you write "Dear...", it's best to say "Dear Mr Miller".

If you mean something else, please explain and we will do our best to help you.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Whether in speaking to the man or writing to the man, you would address him directly as "Mr. Miller", without the use of his first name or any initials:
    I think you know, Mr. Miller, how much I admire your daughter.
    You would only use first names or initials if you were referring to him indirectly:
    At the party were Mr. John Miller and his brother, Mr. William Miller.
    Notice also there is a difference here between BE and AE in writing the abbreviation for "Mister". The BE practice is to write the abbreviation (and simimilar abbreviations, such as that for "Doctor") without a period: Mr Miller
    The AE practice is always to use a period: Mr. Miller

Nadae

China
    Welcome to the forums Nadae.

"Refer to him" can mean a lot of things. What do you mean, exactly? Do you mean can you say "Dear Mr H Miller"? It's not usually considered correct to use a person's initial when you write "Dear...", it's best to say "Dear Mr Miller".

If you mean something else, please explain and we will do our best to help you.
    Well, I need to draft a business letter, and the adressee's name reads as "Nelsen L. Lentz"

So how should I address him?

Is "Mr. L. Lentz" applicable?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Is "Mr. L. Lentz" appropriate?
    No. You address him directly, whether in the salutation, the body of the letter, or in conversation, as "Mr. Lentz". In any case, if his first name is "Nelson", I don't know why you would call him "Mr. L. Lentz" anyway, even when referring to him indirectly. "Nelson" begins with an "N", not an "L".

Nadae

China
    No. You address him as "Mr. Lentz" or "Mr. Lotez", whichever his name actually is. In any case, if his first name is "Nelson", I don't know why you would call him "Mr. L. Lentz" anyway, even when referring to him indirectly. "Nelson" begins with an "N", not an "L".
    Ok. Thank you for your help and patience:D

< Previous | Next >