Letter: Where in a letter to write R.S.V.P?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Bilyana, May 7, 2007.

1. Bilyana Senior Member

Bulgarian
    I'd like to use R.S.V.P at the end of a letter. Is it placed before the name at the end of the letter or after the name?

2. sloopjc Senior Member

UK English
    R.S.V.P. is usually reserved for invitations. In standard communication, it is preferable to write any of the following:

"I look forward to hearing from you"
    "I look forward to your reply"
    "I look forward to hearing from you soon"
    "I look forward to your response"

3. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    You should only use R.S.V.P. on an invitation (to a party or social event, wedding, etc.) It is usually expected on invitations, but to see it on a letter would be odd. In fact I would go as far as to say that to directly request a reply to a letter, however politely, would be rude. You should only suggest that you would like to get a reply, and Sloopjc's examples will do very nicely for that.

4. Bilyana Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Thanks, Sloopjc.

I wanted to use it in an informal e-mail, but I'll use something else :)

5. Bilyana Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Thank you Matching Mole as well.

Can I write: "Please confirm receipt of this e-mail" or will it sound odd/too direct as well?

6. sloopjc Senior Member

UK English
    If you are sending an email, why not just send a "request receipt"? It's an automatic feature of most email programs.

7. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    If it is in a business context where it is understood that confirmation is important, then it would be fine. However, in an informal e-mail I would find that sort of phrase brusque. If you are genuinely worried that the recipient won't get the e-mail then you could write something like: "I'm not sure I've got the right e-mail address for you, so could you let me know when you get this?"

Otherwise I would still suggest the "looking forward to" approach. Of course, much depends on your relationship with the person.

8. Bilyana Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Thank you both for your comments/suggestions.

Now, for sure, I know more about the "nature" of the abbreviation :)