Levantine Arabic: أخوث - أخوت

scetis

English- Canadian
I was helping a friend today and came across the word أخوث. It was the first time I had heard it but later read somewhere that in some dialects its close to أحمق.

What would be the closest English translation for أخوث? Also, on a scale of 1-10, how insulting would this word be (10 being extremely offensive).

• Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    I don't really recall hearing it as an adjective although what you said sounds about right - for some reason I feel like I know the word and the meaning is pretty close to silly, maybe stupid. This might mean that I have heard it and forgotten, or it might be because the common word in PA is not the adjective, rather the verb.

The verb يتخوّت / يتخوّث (depending on dialect) means to jest or to joke around. The expression يتخوّت على means to mock, to tease, or to ridicule.

oopqoo

Hebrew - Israel
    I can confirm that it's used in Northern PA, with ث pronounced as ت, to mean stupid - اهبل، عبي. Based on one person I spoke with :)

momai

Arabic - Syria
    خويتة for both male and female is more common in Syria, at least where I come from (Salamieh). The verb يتخوت على becomes يتخوتن على (maSdar: خوتنة)

She'lock Holmes

Northern Lev. Arabic (mostly Syrian)
    I think we use it for both 'silly' and 'idiot'. It's definitely not a harsh insult.

Also, on a scale of 1-10, how insulting would this word be (10 being extremely offensive).
    2 for me; I think it's a little more commonly used among women than men. I'd definitely use something more 'insulting' if I really want to do so instead of this word :)

wriight

English (US) / Arabic (Lebanon)
    This means "crazy; loony; nuts" for me in Southern Leb, and خُوِت_يِخوَت is "to go wild/nuts". Does it really tend more toward "silly; idiotic" everywhere else? 😮

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >