Levantine Arabic: اكيد هيك ونص

< Previous | Next >

WannaBFluent

Français
Here I come with another tweet I'd like to translate !

Main tweet as context:

لاه يا رجل، احكي غير كلام مستحيل يكون في شعب يخرب بلدو ويجيب واطيها عاليها كرمال ٦ دولارات بالشهر، ويرجع ينام نومة أهل الكهف عند ما يصير الدولار ب ١٠ آلاف ليرة ومش متوفر، والبنوك حاجزة أموال المدعين، والزعران تكسّر العاصمة والشركات تقفل لا مستحيل يكون في بلد وشعب هيك مش هيك؟​

Then someone replied this:

اكيد هيك ونص
شعب تابع لهون ولهون والله وكيلك بيموتو اذا تبعو لبنان

الله لا يشيلن من هالازمة​

My attempt to translate:

Of course it's like that but you forgot a detail,
A people [of sheep] following here and there, wAllah your agent puts your country to death if he follows Lebanon

What does the expression اكيد هيك ونص means ? Does it mean like the guy was right but he missed a detail, a point (reprensented by the "half" نص) ?
And I am right to consider بيموتو as بيموّته or he meant بيموتوا ? And تبعه instead of تبعوا ? The fact that وكيل is singular made me thought like this.

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi,

Here's another try from me at those Lebanese tweets :) and again based on the resemblance with Egyptian usage.

When we add ونص to something, it's for emphasis هيك ونص (or in Egyptian كدة ونص) is like "very much so".
    اكيد هيك ونص
    شعب تابع لهون ولهون والله وكيلك بيموتو اذا تبعو لبنان

الله لا يشيلن من هالازمة​

[...]
    What does the expression اكيد هيك ونص means ? Does it mean like the guy was right but he missed a detail, a point (reprensented by the "half" نص) ?
    And I am right to consider بيموتو as بيموّته or he meant بيموتوا ? And تبعه instead of تبعوا ? The fact that وكيل is singular made me thought like this.
    أكيد هيك ونص yes, definitely it is so, no doubt about it. (that's more of an explanation than a translation :) ).
    بيموتوا means: they would die. تبعوا to follow. الله وكيلك as a whole means "by God" (not a literal translation, but that's the meaning of the expression).

So my attempt to translate: But of yes course, it is so! (mais oui bien sûre, c'est tout à fait ça/correcte). A people who follows this and that (everyone but their own country), by God they would die if they follow Lebanon (their own country).

analeeh

English - UK
    In slightly more idiomatic English, maybe something like:

'Exactly, 110%.

This is a people who are loyal to a dozen different [countries] - the day they start being loyal to Lebanon, they'll die.'

< Previous | Next >