Levantine Arabic: شو صار بجزداني؟

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by WannaBFluent, Jul 4, 2017.

1. WannaBFluent

WannaBFluent Senior Member

Français
    I know that صار shows that there is a change of state.

Thus, in the sentence شو صار بزداني؟ the girl is aking "what happened to my purse?" in a sense that her purse has changed its state (it was burnt, it was destroyed, etc).

However I'm pretty sure it's also an equivalent to وين زداني؟ as if she was asking if someone has displaced her purse.

What I don't understand is that صار should mean a change of state, not a displacement. But maybe I'm wrong.

So my question is:
    If the girl says شو صار بزداني؟ can it just mean that she lost her purse, and not that the purse necessarily changed of state?

For example, if the girl finds her purse completely destroyed, she will say شو صار but if she just lost it, she can't find it, will she only say وين or can she say both?

Does the appearance, disappearance of the purse is considered as a change of state?

Thank you.

2. analeeh Senior Member

English - UK
    صار has a number of meanings one of which is 'happen'. In your example شو صار بجزداني just means what happened to my purse?

3. WannaBFluent

Français
    Yes, but can she say this if her pursue disappeared or just if she sees her persue destroyed, or reversed, or any change of state?

Can it be an equivalent of وين زداني ?

I'm confused because I know that the translation of what happened to my purse? can be an equivalent of where is my purse? in some contexts in some languages and definitely not in some others.

4. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    In Palestinian Arabic:

It would typically be used if there's been a change of state.

If the purse is gone one would typically say وين راح جزداني؟.

Chances are it's the same in Syrian, but you never know. ;)

5. Hemza

Hemza Senior Member

Paris, France
    French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    Sorry but I couldn't help myself: that would imply it fled by itself? :D.

6. WannaBFluent

Français
    Ah ok thanks elroy!

Of course we imply that the bag was stolen :D

7. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    وين صار جزداني؟ is used in Iraqi Arabic. It may also be used in Syria, at least in some parts, but this is just a guess based on the discussion.

8. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    In Palestinian Arabic وين صار جزداني؟ would mean that the purse is on its way somewhere, and the question is asking "Where is my purse now?" or "How far has my purse gotten?".

9. Ramisadeh

Ramisadeh Senior Member

Arabic
    The verb صار can be simply translated into "to become", so if the girl said ... What has become of my purse? Well I believe in english it also could bear the meaning of that it might have been misplaced.