Levantine Arabic: قضاء شريف ونزيه وبيحاسب هل لصوص

< Previous | Next >

WannaBFluent

Français
Hey guys, I have so much trouble understanding a tweet I've found.

A first person tweeted the following (you can ignore it, it's just for context) :

اسمح لنفسي ان انتقد #جبران_باسيل في بلدي وأمام قضائي،ولطالما كنت ضد الكيد والتعطيل وخلافه،لكن ان تحاسب #أميركا وتعاقب وتنصّب نفسها شرطياً على الكون وهي راعية الفساد في العالم فتلك مسألة لا وجهة نظر فيها . لبنان ليس ولاية تصب اصواتها في المجمع الانتخابي الاميركي #رستم_خزانة​

Then, someone replied this :

ما لو في عندكون قضاء شريف ونزيه وبيحاسب هل لصوص ما كنتو وصلتو لهون ولهون يعني المزابل الي معبايه طرقاتكون والكهربا الي بتدفعو فاتورتها كزا مره وصهاريج المي الي بتشتروها واهم شي تفجير المرفأ سلميلي على القضاء والقدر
I'd like to translate the part in bold. I understand it as :

If there were, in your country, honorable and ??? judges and they have to justify themselves ???, they wouldn't go here and there, I mean, the garbage dumps which are full of your ??? and the electricity that you pay with its invoice such-and-such time.

I don't really know what the first ما means here and, to me, طرقات could mean 'shoe soles' or maybe just 'pile of things'.

Can you help?

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    نزيه is like the French "intègre". I'm not sure about in English, maybe "with/of integrity".
    ما لو : you got it right. In Egypt we say ما هو لو. That extra ما/ماهو is more of an emphasis element.
    هل لصوص: I'm pretty sure it's ها اللصوص those thieves.
    طرقاتكون is طُرُقاتكم in MSA: your streets/roads.

ما لو في عندكون قضاء شريف ونزيه وبيحاسب هل لصوص ما كنتو وصلتو لهون ولهون يعني المزابل الي معبايه طرقاتكون والكهربا الي بتدفعو فاتورتها كزا مره وصهاريج المي الي بتشتروها واهم شي تفجير المرفأ سلميلي على القضاء والقدر

I'd like to translate the part in bold. I understand it as :

If there were, in your country, honorable and ??? judges and they have to justify themselves ???, they wouldn't go here and there, I mean, the garbage dumps which are full of your ??? and the electricity that you pay with its invoice such-and-such time.
    "they have to justify themselves" is incorrect. قضاء شريف ونزيه وبيحاسب هل لصوص/ها اللصوص honest judiciary system that questions/holds those thieves accountable/that punishes those thieves; you wouldn't have reached this and that [level]; I mean the garbage that's filling your roads/streets, and the electricity bills that you pay more than once...

You may of course want to wait for confirmation or correction from Levantine speakers.

analeeh

English - UK
    'I mean, if you had an honest, honourable judiciary that held these thieves to account, you'd never have ended up where you are now: rubbish piling up in the streets, electric bills you have to pay several times over...'

< Previous | Next >