Levantine Arabic: هذا المحل شغل ايش؟

bwac14

English - US
Hello,

A man is sitting with two friends in front of a lake with a nice view. He says the following:

يا سلام. والله هذا المحل شغل ايش؟

One of his friends reply:
شغل مع الناس الصح بس انت جاي مع الناس الغلط.

I'm not sure what شغل means here.

Thanks

• analeeh

English - UK
    This is a bit of a tricky one to translate without rephrasing. I'm fairly sure he's talking about how you would end up owning land 'like this'. I understand (without context) the first sentence to be a sort of rhetorical question - شغل ايش = something like 'the result of what?' - where the implication is 'corruption' or something like that. And then his friend responds by saying no, you get this by working with people, but you approach people the wrong way.

Finland

finnois
    This is a bit of a tricky one to translate without rephrasing. I'm fairly sure he's talking about how you would end up owning land 'like this'. I understand (without context) the first sentence to be a sort of rhetorical question - شغل ايش = something like 'the result of what?' - where the implication is 'corruption' or something like that. And then his friend responds by saying no, you get this by working with people, but you approach people the wrong way.

Sounds right! However, couldn't the end be interpreted also: "you get this by working with the right people, but you deal with the wrong people"?

analeeh

English - UK
    You're absolutely right. I misread it as غلط on its own. I think it more straightforwardly reads 'you're here with the wrong people'.

bwac14

English - US
    Thanks for the answers. He did mention the view which I forgot to add the first time:

يا جماعة شوفولي بهالمنظر. يا سلام. والله هذا المحل شغل ايش؟

And to me it sounded like he was saying something like this (but I'm not sure):

— "What is the purpose of this place [a place with a view like this]?"
    And the friend replies (as a joke maybe): — It's purpose is [to be enjoyed] with the right people but you came here with the wrong people (him and the other friend)."

It was just a short story on Instagram so there isn't much more context but is my interpretation possible?

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    No. I highly doubt it.

He is asking “what should you do to get a place like this”. He is likes the place, he is not criticizing it.

His friend says “you need to work with the right people” (meaning: you need to be friends with rich and influential people) but you are here with the wrong people (meaning: but you are friends with us, average people that have no power or influence.

analeeh

English - UK
    Ah, that's the idiomatic translation - 'what do you have to do to get a place like this?'

And then maybe the response could be: 'You just have to know the right people. But you know the wrong people.'

Wadi Hanifa

Arabic
    Thanks for the answers. He did mention the view which I forgot to add the first time:

يا جماعة شوفولي بهالمنظر. يا سلام. والله هذا المحل شغل ايش؟

And to me it sounded like he was saying something like this (but I'm not sure):

— "What is the purpose of this place [a place with a view like this]?"
    And the friend replies (as a joke maybe): — It's purpose is [to be enjoyed] with the right people but you came here with the wrong people (him and the other friend)."

It was just a short story on Instagram so there isn't much more context but is my interpretation possible?

Your interpretation is the correct one ("what would this place be good for?"/"what can you do with this place"?). شغل مع الناس الصح = girls.