Levantine Arabic: accountable

Raspberryjam

English - UK
How would you say the following in Levantine?
1. I need to keep him accountable as to how he is using his money.
2. I am accountable to my boss (e.g. i answer to my boss)
3. My wife and i are accountable to each other- we each keep the other on the right path

Thanks ;)

Last edited:
  • Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    مسؤولين عن بعض[pl] for nr.3
    I would say مسؤولين قدام بعض (فصحى: مسؤولون أمام بعضنا البعض).

I'm sure it's a typo because I'm sure you know that مسؤول عن means 'responsible for'.

momai

Arabic - Syria
    بينسئلو عن بعض means to take care of each other in Syrian Arabic. Isn't that the intended meaning?

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    I understand 'accountable to someone' as 'the other person has the right to demand justification of actions and decisions'. For example, an employee is accountable to his manager but the manager is not accountable to his employee. Hence الموظف مسؤول قدام المدير ومش مسؤول عنه.

Maybe Raspberryjam can confirm what he means by accountable.

Also, at least in Palestinian Arabic بينسئلوا عن بعض is different than both مسؤول قدام ومسؤول عن. I understand ينسئلوا عن بعض in a more social context, as in أسأل الزوج عن أخبار زوجتو، كيف حالها وشو عاملة; to me this sounds irrelevant to both responsibility and accountability. Maybe it's different in Syrian Arabic.

momai

Arabic - Syria
    Could you please give us some examples in order to see to what extent they differ?
    مسؤول قدام means to be held accountable for your actions in front of God or your people e.g. كل انسان مسؤول عن أعمالو قدام الله والناس
    مسؤول عن البيت the one who takes care of his own home --> hence the meaning of responsibility
    المسوؤل بالحكومة بينسئل عن شؤون الشعب --> responsibility

analeeh

English - UK
    'Accountable to' = مسؤول قدام, definitely. 'Accountable for' = مسؤول عن.

مسؤول عن كيف بيصرف مصاريه
    مسؤول قدام المدير
    مسؤولين قدام بعض

But I don't know how idiomatic any of these are

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I’ve never heard مسؤول قدام in Palestinian Arabic. (Not saying it doesn’t exist, just that I’ve never heard it and wouldn’t immediately understand it.)

I might say

لازم أخليه يبرّرلي كل مصاريفو
    أنا بالشغل لازم كل إشي بعملو يكون مقبول عند المدير (Isn’t this obvious?)
    أنا ومرتي منتابع/منراقب بعض عشان نخلي بعض ع الصراط المستقيم

In other words, I don’t think trying to literally translate “accountable” in these everyday contexts is going to produce idiomatic Arabic.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Ah, interesting. (I'm not familiar with مسؤول أمام either.)

What do you think of my translations?

momai

Arabic - Syria
    أنا ومرتي منتابع/منراقب بعض عشان نخلي بعض ع الصراط المستقيم
    It didn't cross my mind that the original sentece is meant to be religous (I actually thought it is about taking care of each other in a more general sense). Well in that case my suggestion is of course off and مسؤوليين قدام بعض would be also wrong...

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    It didn't cross my mind that the original sentece is meant to be religous
    I don't think it was! :p In Palestinian Arabic, ع الصراط المستقيم is commonly used loosely/generally to mean "on the right path," without any heavy religious connotations. If that's not the case in Syrian, then it won't be appropriate as a translation into Syrian here!

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    I'm not familiar with مسؤول أمام either.
    Really? In MSA it's quite common.
    What do you think of my translations?
    I would very likely use them in informal contexts, I would go with مسؤول in more formal contexts (example, at work when talking about professional accountability).
    In Palestinian Arabic, ع الصراط المستقيم is commonly used loosely/generally to mean "on the right path,"
    I would dare say that it's even sort of an idiom because sometimes it's not even a 'path' or 'righteous' - just an expression to mean 'on track' or something of the sort.

< Previous | Next >