Levantine Arabic: chest of drawers

langcur

Hebrew
Hi,

How would you say "chest of drawers" in Levantine Arabic?
Here are 2 photos:

1557054379537.png 1557054287565.png

Thank you for the answers

• Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    I don't know about anyone else, but we just call it جوارير. If you want to say something like 'on top of the chest of drawers' we would say فوق الجوارير. I don't believe I've heard a name for it.

grosdied

French - France
    Hi, I've seen chest of drawers translated as both بيرو and شوفونية in Syrian Arabic. Both terms are likely derived from French words (bureau: desk ; chiffon: rag, cloth).

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Palestinian:
    Will خزانة جوارير be O.K in Levantine?
    I don’t think that would work in Palestinian.
    we just call it جوارير
    :tick:

If it’s not clear from context that you mean a chest of drawers and not, for example, loose drawers, بوفيه جوارير (bufē jawarīr) could possibly work. This is not, to my knowledge, an established phrase, but I might very well use it ad-hoc if I needed to.

By the way, for some speakers, “drawers” is جرّارات (jarrarāt).

grosdied

French - France
    Hi,

can بيرو be used in Palestinian?
    Palestinian has several words of French origin.

Thanks
    I don't know but I can tell you that in the expression بوفيه جوارير (bufē jawarīr), بوفيه is of French origin (buffet: chest of drawers)

grosdied

French - France
    That’s interesting! Because the established meaning of بوفيه in Palestinian Arabic is not “chest of drawers” but “hutch” (hutch - Google-Suche). This is why, if I meant “chest of drawers,” I would specify بوفيه جوارير.
    Buffet actually designates the "hutch" in French. The chest of drawers used to store linen is called a "commode", which by the way has been adopted in Syrian Arabic (كمدينة) but is used to designate a bedside table.

< Previous | Next >