Levantine Arabic: Is it painful? It is painful

LDLawrence

English
[‘is it painful’ ‘it is painful’]
One of my Shami friends said that ‘it is painful’ is ‘عبتوجع' which i don’t understand. Why can’t it be ‘في جرح’. Appreciate help on the other one as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • wriight

English (US) / Arabic (Lebanon)
    Yours is grammatically fine, but it literally means "there is a wound", which isn't always what "it is painful" means. If you're set on using that structure, you could go for في وَجَع؟, which is literally "there is pain" — it does sound a touch less-personal, but it's a perfectly usable option.

On the other hand, your friend's breaks down into عم بتُوجع, which is literally "it is hurting".

-----

(EDIT: Everything below was written because I'd misread and thought your friend had used عبتوجع to translate "is it painful", i.e. as a question. Knowing that it was instead a translation of "it is painful" means that "it is hurting" is the only possible reading of it, but because I'd thought it was a question, it could have been either "is it hurting?" or "are you hurting?".)
    But I'm not sure which, because IME the verb for "hurt" is used with a redundant object pronoun: إيدك عم تُوجعك؟ word-for-word says "is your hand hurting you?" but translates to "does your hand hurt?". I'm unfamiliar with the pronoun-less form myself. Can you ask your friend whether a response of "yes, it's painful" would be عبوجع vs. عبتوجع?

(He also could've meant عبتْوَجّع؟ rather than عبتُجع؟, which would fall under "is it hurting?", but that strikes me as a bit odder a phrasing.)

Last edited:

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    One of my Shami friends said that ‘it is painful’ is ‘عبتوجع' which i don’t understand. Why can’t it be ‘في جرح’. Appreciate help on the other one as well
    Excuse me if I misunderstood your post post, but it seems to me that your friend was telling you what 'it is painful' is in Shami Arabic. I'm sure that if you asked him to tell what 'there is a wound' is in Shami Arabic she would have said في جرح, or am I missing something here?

wriight

English (US) / Arabic (Lebanon)
    I'm sure that if you asked him to tell what 'there is a wound' is in Shami Arabic she would have said في جرح, or am I missing something here?
    Judging by OP's other posts, it looks like they've misunderstood that في means "there is", instead believing it to mean "it". So في جرح could reasonably be taken to mean "it is painful" under that misconception.

BTW, my bad for having misread the first sentence of the original post as "...that ‘is it painful?’ is عبتوجع". Knowing that it's not a question nullifies a good chunk of my earlier response and makes the meaning clear.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >