Levantine Arabic/MSA: I will not know until March.

• jmt356

The imperfect only has four moods:
    - Indicative: أَعْرِفُ
    - Jussive: أَعْرِفْ
    - Subjunctive: أعْرِفَ
    - Imperative: إعْرِفْ

So my next guess is the subjunctive, though I would find it unlikely since the subjunctive is the mood of a verb in a subordinate clause that depends on a main verb that connotes a command, request, wish, intent or fear and here, there is no subordinate clause.

Pospana

Serbian
    The imperfect only has four moods:
    - Indicative: أَعْرِفُ
    - Jussive: أَعْرِفْ
    - Subjunctive: أعْرِفَ
    - Imperative: إعْرِفْ

So my next guess is the subjunctive, though I would find it unlikely since the subjunctive is the mood of a verb in a subordinate clause that depends on a main verb that connotes a command, request, wish, intent or fear and here, there is no subordinate clause.
    You have to use the third form; لنْ always goes with the منصوب form, that's what the grammar says. It is a categorical negation, so we might say that it does bear a meaning of resolution - an attitude - in a way, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. It's not necessarily used in a subordinate clause in Arabic.

bearded

Italian
    You have to use the third form; لنْ always goes with the منصوب form, that's what the grammar says. It is a categorical negation, so we might say that it does bear a meaning of resolution - an attitude - in a way, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. It's not necessarily used in a subordinate clause in Arabic.
    Question from an ignorant foreigner: is 'lan' originally derived from 'la 'an' (not that..)? That would explain the subjunctive mood.
    Thank you in advance.

< Previous | Next >