Levantine Arabic: my pleasure/you're welcome/don't mention it

sarllou18

English UK
Hi!
can anyone transalate 'dont worry', or 'my pleasure' in the Shaami dialect.
Context: Someone thanked me for sending them something and I just want to tell the in the Shaami dialect that its my pleasure etc.:)

• shining_star24

Arabic(Palestinian)
    In MSA, we say بكل سرور ( be kool sororen) for my pleasure, I think that in shaami dialect they would say such as in Palestinian dialect
    ولو، ما في شي من الواجب/ واجبك . However, we can wait for other suggestions.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    In MSA, we say بكل سرور ( be kool sororen) for my pleasure,
    In this context, I would say هذا من دواعي سروري

I would use بكل سرور to mean "gladly" or "that would be my pleasure," when agreeing to do something for example.
    I think that in shaami dialect they would say such as in Palestinian dialect
    Good suggestion. :thumbsup:

sarllou18

English UK
    In MSA, we say بكل سرور ( be kool sororen) for my pleasure, I think that in shaami dialect they would say such as in Palestinian dialect
    Ok, so would that statement be used to say something colloquial such as 'no worries' or is it used for 'my pleasure' soley?

shining_star24

Arabic(Palestinian)
    I use it for " my pleasure" only.

For "no worries" , I am not sure if it has a colloquial meaning that I don't know. But as far as I know, It is the equivalent to ما تقلق/ تخاف

sarllou18

English UK
    what about: ولو، ما في شي من الواجب/ واجبك is that equivalent to 'my pleasure' in shaami?Thanks!

shining_star24

Arabic(Palestinian)
    As far as I know, Shaami dialect is almost the same of Palestinian one so they would use ولو، ما في شي من الواجب/ واجبك which indicates " my pleasure" in English.

I am sorry if my first explanation was not clear. Hope this one clarifies the ambiguity that occurred.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    shining_star24, if someone said "shukran" to you, would you really say "bikuli suruur"???

P22T33

Français - English
    In Egypt, it's common to say:
    'El afw' (Don't mention!) العفــــو
    'Taht amrak' (At your disposal) تحت أمرك
    'Taht amrak fi aye wa't' (At your disposal at any time) تحت أمرك في أي وقت

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    In Egypt, it's common to say:
    'El afw' (Don't mention!) العفــــو
    'Taht amrak' (At your disposal) تحت أمرك
    'Taht amrak fi aye wa't' (At your disposal at any time) تحت أمرك في أي وقت
    The second and the third one would not be used if someone thanked you for a gift.

P22T33

Français - English
    When thanking for a present in Egypt, the common response would be:

'Ma kansh fih day'ie' (There was no need to ...!) ما كانش فيه داعي

'Ma kansh fih lezoum' (There was no obligation for you to ...!) ما كانش فيه لزوم

'Ta'abt nafsak or nafsik' (You've bothered to ...!) تعبت نفسك

'Kattar kheirak' (May your goodness flourish!) كتر خيرك

'Rabena yiekhalik' (May God keep you!) ربنا يخليك

My favorite is the last one.

shining_star24

Arabic(Palestinian)
    shining_star24, if someone said "shukran" to you, would you really say "bikuli suruur"???
    It depends on the situation, here the context is to reply to someone who thanked us for sending him a gift. As I mentioned before, my way to reply is ما في شي من واجبك/مقامك. there is another way people say here which is على راسي والله but this would be so colloquial.

However, I don't really use هذا من دواعي سروري I know that it is a correct and fusha way to reply for someone.
    It might be that I mistakenly used to say بكل سرور as a fusha way to express the same idea!:confused:

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    With all due respect, I think that that's a misuse and that I think you have in fact been confusing that expression with هذا من دواعي سروري.

بكل سرور doesn't make sense as a response to شكرًا.

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    You can also say: ولو، من فضلة خيركم أو ولو تددل\تأمر; I would probably use the second (tu'mur or titdallal) if they had asked for it.

sarllou18

English UK
    ولو، ما في شي من الواجب/ واجبك .
    hey shining_star24 could you write this in roman lettering pleae! would it be pronounced as 'walou, ma fee she minal waajib/wajbek? Thanks
    ولو، ما في شي من الواجب/ واجبك .
    hey shining_star24 could you write this in roman lettering please! would it be pronounced as 'walou, ma fee she minal waajib/wajbek? Thanks in advance!

< Previous | Next >