Levantine Arabic: to run

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • badde

American English
    The verb is رَكَض (rakaD).

Arabic verbs usually have 3 root letters.

The pattern for root extraction is as follows:

1) you get rid of prefixes/infixes/suffixes (if any)

For example, if you look at the 10 verb forms in Arabic, certain verb forms have a prefix, eg. ist-, in-, t-, etc.

Or the prefixes you add to verbs when you conjugate them, eg. b-, bt-, by-, etc.

These prefixes are not part of the root.

Neither are the endings you attach to verbs, eg. -ne, -na, -to, etc.

So basically what WannaBFluent said.

2) you get rid of short vowels, or the „helping vowels” you insert between the consonants

The 3 letters you end up with are the root.

So you should end up with something like this:

Letter #1 - Letter #2 - Letter #3

eg. katab (he wrote)

k - t - b
    ب - ت - ك

That's your root.

Ps. The root won't always be made of consonants only.

Ps. #2 Sometimes it’s not as simple as that, but I think it’ll be enough for most basic triliteral verbs.

Ps. #3 I think it's easier to extract the root from the Arabic form because short vowels aren't written in Arabic. Plus, short vs. long vowels aren't always marked consistently in the Latin script, so you might miss a long vowel that is actually part of the root.

rakaD has no prefixes/infixes/suffixes and it only has short vowels, so see if you can extract the root.

For more, google „root extraction in Arabic verbs.” And I think most Arabic textbooks have a chapter on the Arabic verbal root.

analeeh

English - UK
    Some people say ragaD, yérgoD in Syria. I think this is probably the spread of assimilation in yérgoD to forms where the r and k are not next to one another.

badde

American English
    More info on the Arabic verbal roots, it's both in the Latin and Arabic scripts:

Jane Wightwick, ‎Mahmoud Gaafar, "Mastering Arabic 1", 2014, Unit 11 (the regular book, not the Activity Book)

Jane Wightwick, Mahmoud Gaafar, "Easy Arabic Grammar", 2005, Unit 1

Ps. In the Arabic script, you of course have to write the root letters from right to left.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >