level--a pictograph

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
While having some money does have impact on our level of happiness, having a lot of money does not.

I guess level conveys the meaning of degree in the above content, right?

For what it's worth, I suspect that level is a pictograph. If I am justified, I presume there aren't as many pictographs in English as in our language.
The following are a few more: eye, eel, Laddle, Vest, hole, hollow, Snake, Serpent, Spine, hoop
I suspect that there are more, but I'm not very resorceful. Perhaps you could add to the lists by thinking of more. Thanks.

• robinp

England, English
    level does convey degree here yes, i can't really help you with the pictographs though i'm affraid

Loob

English UK
    I don't think pictographs exist in English, QD, at least not in the way you're trying to use the term.

I can see where you're coming from with "hole" (the 'o' looks like a hole) and with "snake/serpent" (the 's' looks like a snake). But I don't see the pictures you see in the others:confused:.

Even if pictographs did exist in English, we wouldn't be able to help you compile a list. WRF doesn't do lists!

Loob

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Yacht is more of a pictograph than level. We see the graphic (pictorial) combination
    of letters that form the word yacht, and by rote learning know what sound to associate with that "picture". The sound, in turn, evokes a mental image of the object. The combination of letters that for 'yacht' shouldn't sound like the word we say, so it's just a series of mental processes:

—see letters y a c h t
    —think of the sound associated, however illogically, with that combination
    —think of the object associated with that sound

This is distinct from pictographs that try to directly represent an object's shape.

Level looks like a curve to me, not a flat line. Of course any word can look level across both top and bottom if written in uppercase letters. If the font has serifs, the effect is
    stronger.

FLATTEN

But...

Flatten

doesn't look quite so flat.

In short, English is not a pictorial language, unlike some other languages that have words that look somewhat like the objects they represent.

< Previous | Next >