level/make an accusation

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Hello,
What is the difference between "Jack made an accusation against the government." and "Jack leveled an accusation at the government."? Is it, let's say, more serious to level an accusation?

Thank you

• owlman5

English-US
    What is the difference between "Jack made an accusation against the government." and "Jack leveled an accusation at the government."?
    I don't think there is any difference in meaning. "Level an accusation" is a cliché that I often read in news reports.

srk

English - US
    I think "level an accusation" must come from the sense of "level" which means "to point a weapon". From the WRF definition of level as a verb:

to aim or point (a weapon, criticism, etc.) at a mark or objective.

That's the way I think of it, so to me, to "level an accusation" is at least a more dramatic idea than "to make an accusation".

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    I don't think there is any difference in meaning. "Level an accusation" is a cliché that I often read in news reports.
    :thumbsup:
    I think "level an accusation" must come from the sense of "level" which means "to point a weapon". From the WRF definition of level as a verb:

to aim or point (a weapon, criticism, etc.) at a mark or objective.

That's the way I think of it, so to me, to "level an accusation" is at least a more dramatic idea than "to make an accusation".
    :thumbsup:
    I usually use "make" and I am ashamed to admit it, but I haven't used "level" in this context lately and it has managed to slip my mind :).
    Don't ever be ashamed to avoid the use of clichés :)

< Previous | Next >