lever bar/keeper bar

< Previous | Next >

flowersophy

Chinese-China
Hi,

There are two terms in the following passage-"lever bar" and "keeper bar". I am quite confused about their meanings.

Geographically, it is a five hour drive away, the last hour on a dirt road with plenty of potholes and several nightmarishly tight barbed wire gates. These things are not proper gates at all… More like a section of fence that has either a lever bar – my favorite kind since the leverage of the keeper bar makes them easier to close – or simply two loops of wire, one at the bottom of the stout fence pole, to insert the last ‘gate’ pole into, then pull with all your strength to get the upper wire loop to slip over the top of that gate pole.
(Quoted from Anthills, Elephants, and Other Fascinations by Rina Flanagan)

Thanks very much!

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    What is confusing you? Have you consulted the dictionary? Note that a native speaker will not understand what exactly is meant unless they have seen this type of gate.

flowersophy

Chinese-China
    What is confusing you? Have you consulted the dictionary? Note that a native speaker will not understand what exactly is meant unless they have seen this type of gate.
    I have consulted the dictionary but I failed to find the two phrases. I really hope someone here can show me pictures related to them. Anyway, thank you for your reply, Glasguensis!

Myridon

English - US
    This is the second type (under construction - the light post is going to be one end of the gate). There's just a simple loop of wire holding the gate at the top and bottom.

This is one example of the second type. The loop at the top can now be made larger by releasing the lever so that it is easy to put the post through it, then closing the lever makes the loop small so the gate stays closed.

< Previous | Next >