lever de coude

Marketman

Français- France
Bonjour, y a t'il une expression idiomatique en anglais pour parler du "levé de coude", geste que l'on fait quand on boit un verre ?
Merci !!

• sampat1running

English-Ireland
    Raising your glass to 'toast' someone, ( salute them), could be "Let's raise our glasses to X", is this useful or is on the wrong track entirely?

archijacq

french France
    elbow-bending
    bend one's elbow
    and bend the elbow; lift one's elbow: to take a drink of an alcoholic beverage; to drink alcohol to excess. He's down at the tavern, bending his elbow. Paul gets lots of exercise. I saw him bend his elbow thirty times at a bar yesterday.

Carcassonnaise

British English
    elbow-bending
    bend one's elbow
    and bend the elbow; lift one's elbow: to take a drink of an alcoholic beverage; to drink alcohol to excess. He's down at the tavern, bending his elbow. Paul gets lots of exercise. I saw him bend his elbow thirty times at a bar yesterday.

Ah well, live and learn :)

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    I can sympathize you with, Carcassonnaise. I've never heard anyone say "bend the elbow", either. I think sampat1running was on the right track myself. "Raise a glass" is very commonly said.

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    Yeah, but what else have we got? "Bottoms up", "pouring them down", "knocking them back"? I'm not sure any of those suit Marketman's purpose. He was asking about a physical motion. "Elbow-bending" is a good solution. Maybe it's commonly used in some places. I haven't been everywhere in the world.

Carcassonnaise

British English
    Yes, I see the problem, Seneca! I suppose we should ask Marketman for more context... Depending on that, if it were my translation, I would probably use a different image rather than a direct translation.

DrD

England English
    I've heard elbow bending, although I can't remember where and it's certainly not something that would spring to my mind. I think if Marketman is translating something where the context is obviously drinking and the physical motion is an important part of the translation, then probably people would understand a reference to elbow bending. Otherwise, I think all of Seneca's suggestions are good.

GentleMath

Français
    Problem is when you say in French lever du coude, it's often some manner to say that someone drinks a lot/too much.

You'd say "Ah bah il a un bon lever de coude", in the same way you'd say "Il a une belle descente".

Raising your glass for a toast does not have this meaning at all.

Marketman

Français- France
    The context is really about drinking, more precisely drinking a lot. I'm going to try the "elbow bending" solution. And thank you all for your ideas ! Thank you so much

vsop44

français France
    Archijacq is right again , as soon as I saw the thread yesterday the word elbow came to mind ... but the rest didn`t click !

I`ve heard of elbow bender for binge !

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    Another note to this thread: yesterday on a forum (the poster being American) I saw this: "I also dance weekly and do a lot of elbow bending." The context made it perfectly clear that he was referring to drinking. So, that's a new one for me, but live and learn.

< Previous | Next >