leverage my experience

pianother

Turkey
Hi,

Which verb should I use in the phrase below instead of "leverage" ?

"I am seeking to leverage my experience in an academic position within the field of music at the university level"

Does it sound awkward?

Thank you in advance.:)

• Loob

English UK
    "capitalise on"?

It depends on whether you want to 'use' your experience or 'increase' it........

Loob

English UK
    "Utilize" is an option

and "capitalise on" is still a possibility.

That said, the advice given to young civil servants in England is "wherever possible, use a short word rather than a long one if you want your meaning to be clear".

I'd go with "use"!

Loob

coiffe

USA
    American English
    Hi,

Which verb should I use in the phrase below instead of "leverage" ?

"I am seeking to leverage my experience in an academic position within the field of music at the university level"

Does it sound awkward?

Thank you in advance.:)

As I think all the responses with alternative suggestions illustrated, this use of the word "leverage," which is common in corporation-speak and investment lingo (leveraging funds to buy on margin, etc.), is not really appropriate in the context you're using. That said, it's true that many corporate types will use this buzzword in just about every other sentence, including their stated intentions to prefer the bathrooms upstairs because they can "leverage" their experience with self-flushing urinals and automatic towel-dispensing machines. :)