lewd things

< Previous | Next >

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering whether lewd can be used in this sentence and whether there is any better and natural choice:

"Some people in KTV are taking drugs and doing lewd things that makes KTV a notorious word."

Context: A friend asked me my opinion of KTV and I told her it was sometimes considered notorious by some people since someone doing something illegal and licentious in it.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    We know what karaoke is; we think of it as a bar sort of place. I've never heard of a "karaoke box" establishment; it sounds like a brothel.

Your sentence sounds fine to me, except I'd use the simple present tense rather than the progressive:
    Some people in KTV take drugs and do lewd things that make KTV a notorious word.

Sun14

Chinese
    We know what karaoke is; we think of it as a bar sort of place. I've never heard of a "karaoke box" establishment; it sounds like a brothel.

Your sentence sounds fine to me, except I'd use the simple present tense rather than the progressive:
    Some people in KTV take drugs and do lewd things that make KTV a notorious word.
    Got it. Thank you very much.

Copyright

American English
    From that Wikipedia article:
    The music is typically a well-known popular song minus the lead vocal. Lyrics are usually displayed on a video screen, along with a moving symbol, changing color, or music video images, to guide the singer. In some countries, namely China and Cambodia, a karaoke box is called a KTV.

And from the Wikipedia article for Karoke box:
    A karaoke box is a common type of karaoke establishment commonly found in Taiwan. Karaoke boxes consist of multiple rooms containing karaoke equipment, usually rented out for time periods.

The term is also used for Hong Kong karaoke establishments:
    Music Box
    Neway Karoke Box
    Green Box
    Red Box Plus

Copyright

American English
    Plainly the OP is not talking about a karaoke box, but rather for the whole establishment.
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something. A karaoke box is the whole establishment – I don't know of any other definition for "karaoke box."

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The question is about people doing "lewd things". I would use the impersonal:

...there is drug-taking and lewd conduct going on at these places...

< Previous | Next >