Lexis (sea disturbance, sea state)

< Previous | Next >

Taisi

Russian-Russia
Which is more acceptable:
- sea disturbance (state?): 6 points (and is it possible to put "points" referring it to sea state?)
- 6 point storm
- very rough sea (it seems the best variant according to Beaufort scale)...But the problem is in possibility to put "point" when speaking about very rough sea.

• dojibear

AE (US English)
    Please give example sentences. It is not clear how many phrases you are asking about, or how you would use each phrase in a sentence.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Are you referring to sea state or wind strength? While they often go hand in hand (and sea state is sometimes described by wind strength), they are different things.

You can say 'Sea state 6', but only some mariners will understand you. Far more mariners and a number of non-mariners will understand 'sea state very rough', and every English speaker will have some idea of what you meant (but they might be puzzled by 'sea state high', for example).

In ordinary English, 'a very rough sea' is fine, and you could write something like, 'It was a very rough sea, sea state 6 on the Douglas scale', for instance.

I expect there is a noun that goes with numbers on the Douglas scale (like 'force' is used with the Beaufort scale for wind strength), but I use numbers for sea strength so rarely (and always have to look them up) that I don't recall encountering it. It might be 'points', but I would not add 'points' myself without knowing that this is the term used. Perhaps a professional mariner will enlighten us.

Taisi

Russian-Russia
    Thank you anyway.

And I (of course) meant sea state (not wind strength) and was interested in composing radiograms...

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >