licenciado en administración de negocios

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by David1969, Jun 29, 2006.

  1. David1969 Member

    Spanish Panama
    como se dice correctamente en inglés:

    licenciado en administracion de negocios
    magíster en administracion de negocios
    doctor en administracion de negocios

    como se dice en español
    bachelor in business administration

    es correcto decir:
    I have a licentiate in business administation
  2. ednalaura

    ednalaura Senior Member

    mexico, spanish
    Yo diría: 'bachelor in business administration' para licenciado en administracion de negocios.

    para 'I have a licentiate in business administation' yo diria: I have a b.s in business administration.
  3. David1969 Member

    Spanish Panama
    thanks a lot Ednalaura. When you answered my thread, you mentioned b.s. which means " bachelor in science"????
  4. ednalaura

    ednalaura Senior Member

    mexico, spanish
    yes, b.s. is bachelor in science. b.a. would be bachelor in arts.
  5. Txiri

    Txiri Senior Member

    USA English
    bachelor of science, bachelor of arts (in French)
  6. tonyray

    tonyray Senior Member

    English, U.S.A.
    Also, BBA-Bachelor of Business Administration
  7. David1969 Member

    Spanish Panama
    Bachelor in Business Administration or Bachelor of Business Administration???
  8. Karina206 Senior Member

    Lo correcto es: Bachelor / Master / Doctor of Business Administration
  9. Nestor Chirinos

    Nestor Chirinos New Member

    Illinois, U.S.
    Castellano - Perú
    Licenciado en Administracion se dice en Ingles: Licentiate in Administration

    en el caso de licenciado en administracion de negocios en Ingles: Licentiate in Business Administration
  10. ohub New Member

    California, USA
    Spanish - Cuba

    La respuesta de Karina es la correcta.

    Respecto al termino Licenciado en ingles, eso depende del pais donde tal terminologia sea utilizada/requerida. En ingles "license" o "licensed" tiene menos peso como titulo al compararse con un grado como tal (Bachelor / Master / Doctor).

    En espanol>> Traduccion literal de "Bachelor in Business Administration" = "Bachiller en Administracion de Negocios" o "...Empresas", o "en Gerencia de Negocios" o "... de Empresas". Traduccion en varios paises es "Licenciado en Administracion de Negocios" o "... de Empresas" o "... en Gerencia"

  11. Txiri

    Txiri Senior Member

    USA English
    Can you document the word "Licentiate"? I have never seen it before, and without documentation from you that it exists, I would say it does not.
  12. mazbook

    mazbook Senior Member

    Mazatlán, Sinaloa, México
    United States/México, English
    "I have a bachelor's degree (or informally "bachelor's" instead of saying "bachelor's degree") in business administration."

    All my translations and degree equivalents are in U.S. English and refer to the normal degrees offered by colleges and universities in the U.S.

    The degree PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) never, in my experience, has any other letters following it to indicate what field the person has specialized in, that is why a person must specify "PhD in (whatever field of study)". Although becoming very uncommon, a person holding a PhD is addressed as "Doctor ______". If you have a PhD, you would say, "I have a doctorate in ______." For the master's degree you would say, "I have a master's degree in _______."

    Neither the master's degree or the bachelor's degree have an associated title, in the U.S. I know that the in Spanish, both have associated titles, bachelor's degree - licenciado Pérez and the master's degree - magister (correctly maestría) Pérez.

  13. Nestor Chirinos

    Nestor Chirinos New Member

    Illinois, U.S.
    Castellano - Perú
    En el Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary pueden encontrar la definicion de Licenciado en Ingles (Licentiate):

    Pronunciation: lI-'sen(t)-shE-&t, especially in sense 2 li-
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Medieval Latin licentiatus, from past participle of licentiare to allow, from Latin licentia
    1 : a person who has a license granted especially by a university to practice a profession
    2 : an academic degree ranking below that of doctor given by some European universities

    Nestor Chirinos
  14. Txiri

    Txiri Senior Member

    USA English
    It isn´t used in the US, maybe it´s used somewhere else.
  15. Nestor Chirinos

    Nestor Chirinos New Member

    Illinois, U.S.
    Castellano - Perú
    In some European and Latin American countries, the Licentiate degree has more weight than a Bachelor's degree. In fact, the Licentiate degree is closest to what here in the United States is considered a Master's degree.

    In Peru, an undergraduate student or someone with a Bachelor's degree can get a Master's degree. However, someone with a Licentiate's degree doesn't have to get a Master's degree because that would be taking a step back.

    As documented in Wikipedia,

    I know this is probably confusing for the people who aren't familiar with this term, and this is why steps are already being taken to have a uniform standard which will solve this problem later on.

    "I have a Licentiate's of Business Administration" or "I'm a Licentiate in Business Administration" would be fine as long as your audience understands what you mean by this. It might be necessary for you to explain what you are referring to. However, if you decide to translate it to "Bachelor's degree," it can be inconvenient depending on the situation (e.g. when trying to express what type of educational background someone has).
  16. Moritzchen Senior Member

    Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    Well being that the American system does not offer a licentiate title, if you have one from overseas I guess you should just call it degree and if questioned, explain.
  17. mazbook

    mazbook Senior Member

    Mazatlán, Sinaloa, México
    United States/México, English
    Hola Nestor.

    Here in México, the licenciado degree is the first (lowest degree) offered by the universities. Normally four years of study, no thesis or independent research necessary. The master's degree (maestría) is the next step UP (not back) as you indicate. This is why I and most others show the licenciado to be the equivalent of a bachelor's degree in the U.S. Naturally, there are differences, but not enough to make any serious diferenciation. I didn't have to refer to a dictionary or to wikipedia for the equivalents in my original post. I was able to do these from personal knowledge. I note that the wikipedia article doesn't refer to any latin american countries, just european ones.


Share This Page