Spanish from my beautiful Costa Rica
Hello, people!

I'd like to be sure about "Licentiate degree", could I use this phase to say my college degree?
I know there's bachelor's degree and Master's degree in the US but in Latin America is very common to have a degree up to the bachelor as "Licenciado(a)".
Is that correct in English to say that ?

Thank very much for any confirmation.
Last edited by a moderator:
  • In England, it is sufficient to state I have a university degree or a economics degree, business degree or maths degree or whatever field you graduated from. If you so wish you can use the words batchelor but it is not so common. you can say I have a BA Economics indicating you are Batchelor of Business Administration in Economics or Bsc Physics indicating your are a Batchelor of Science in Physics.
    Qué, Cartago, ¿tuanis?

    Licenciatura can be translated to either Licentiate or Bachelor´s degree, depending on the source country.

    In Costa Rica (as in several other countries in Latin America) we have a University Bachelor´s degree BACHILLERATO UNIVERSITARIO, after which you can obtain a LICENCIATURA (licentiate). After the Licenciatura you can opt for your doctorate or your master´s, etc. The American system does not include the licentiate, going directly from your bachelor´s to your master´s.

    Conversely, when translating INTO Spanish, you must be careful if you translate Bachelor´s degree as Bachillerato or Licenciatura, as the former is only used for High School diplomas in some places, and the latter would be incorrect in countries such as ours.

    Saludos :)
    Hi there!

    Existen varios niveles.

    Grado superior: Associate Level (2 años)
    Diplomado/Licenciado: Bachelor Level (4 años)
    Licenciado (más o menos): Master Level (4 años, Bachelor degree and master degree plus 2 years post graduate study)
    Doctorado: Pues eso, doctor y 8 añitos de estudio

    En España actualmente puedes ser:

    Diplomado en Ingenieria Informática (3 años de carrera). Ingeniero Técnico Informático.

    Licenciado en Ingenieria Informática (5 años de carrera). Ingeniero Informático.

    El año próximo comienza con la normativa europea y todo el que consiga una carrera tendrá "Grado".

    Esto depende del pais, en Perú es diferente, Licenciatura es un título académico. Bachiller, Maestria y Doctorado son Grados Académicos.
    Una persona puede ser Bachiller en enfermería, pero para trabajar como enfermera/o debe tener el título académico de Licenciado en Enfermería.
    Otro ejemplo: Bachiller en Comunicaciones es grado académico, Licenciado en Comunicación es el título académico.
    No todos los títulos académicos son licenciaturas ejemplo: Grado académico: Bachiller en Ingenieria Civil, título académico Ingeniero Civil, Grado Académico Bachiller en Medicina Humana, Título académico Médico-cirujano.
    Hola, me gustaría saber cómo se dice "licenciatura" en inglés; tengo entendido que "career" es en lo que trabajas que quizá no tenga que ver con lo que estudiaste.
    In Mexico, "Licenciatura" is usually a Bachelor of Arts degree. However, it is generally used for any undergraduate degree, that is, not a masters or doctorate degree. This general usage results in all college grads being callled "Licenciado", which bothers most engineers who have a Bachelor of Science degree, and therefore merit being called "Ingeniero."

    hello everyone

    is the word licenciatura is correct in describing someone who finished a bachelor degree, and in his second year he got a cretificate/diploma/document of honors?

    how do i translate that?
    licenciatura de honores?
    what does DIPLOMATURA really mean?
    in israel we usually have 3 years of degree. in each of them one can obtain a diploma with honors.
    is a diploma like that called diplomatura?
    do u write "diplomatura" or "diplomatura con honores"?

    Typcal student

    Primaria 6 years - from 6 years old
    Secundaria 4 years - from 12 years old
    Bachillerato 2 years - from 16 years old
    Diplomatura 3 years - from 18 years old
    Licenciatura 2 years - from 21 years old
    Doctorado 3 years - from 23 years old

    In Spain we don't say diplomatura con honores. Possibly in South America.
    I would say Diplomatura regardless it's only 2 year long
    Hi, in Spain we are currently changing the study system to adapt to the European one. But the situation until now was that certain studies were 3 years long and were called DIPLOMATURAS, such as Nursery, Tourism... and others were 4 or 5 years long called LICENCIATURAS such as Biology, Geology,... these were divided in two parts: 1st and 2nd, but when one finished his/her 3rd year in Biology, you did not hold a DIPLOMATURA in Biology, or a bachelors degree in Biology, you had nothing but the 1st part of Biology, and you had to go on studying to get a masters degree for you studies to have any official recognition.

    As for the marks, the highest you can get is Matrícula de Honor, so could be "Licenciado en Biología con Matrícula de Honor", but if that person has a bachelor´s degree, there is no way he can have a Licenciatura, no matter how good his marks are.
    I hope this was clear, :)

    Ooops! and sorry, anatbs, but for future threads, you should write the word or topic you ask about in the title, the rules of the forum advise against general titles like yours "how do I translate"
    Last edited:
    Now I am really confused.
    I understand the education systems are very different. yet, how do u call someone who finished his or her 2nd year (out of three) with honors. is there an equivalent? im talking only about the marks.

    another question: if i finished my 1st degree (which is 3 years according to my country), do i call it licenciatura or diploamtura?

    last question - what is the name of the diploma an 18 year old gets when s/he finished high school?

    thank you :)
    OK, something like "ha terminado su segundo curso (or just: ha terminado segundo) con Matrícula de Honor".
    When we finish Secondary School we obtain the "bachillerato" o "título de bachiller".
    And in the other case, if you finished your 3rd year and that´s it, you have a title, that is a Diplomatura.
    If you finished your 3rd year but you still got 1 or 2 more to go, we say "he terminado el primer ciclo de la Licenciatura".
    thank you very much! now it makes sense :)

    i guess terminology in latin america is very different from spain ...
    I think you are confussed beacuse of different education systems in different countries.
    In Costa Rica we do not have a word such as "diplomatura".
    When you finish high school you get your "bachillerato en educación media" (you are about 18 at this time)
    Then you go to College (University).
    There are different carreers and you may obtain different degrees.
    In short carrers (like executive secretary or dental technichan) you may get a basic diploma and you would be studying a "diplomado".
    For other carreers (like electrical engineering or medicine) you might get a degree after three years. These degrees are called "Bachillerato universitario".
    Some of these carreers continue after that for at least another two years, after which you get your "precticing license" and the corresponding "licenciatura".
    After that education may continue and you may get "master degress" called "Maestrías" or "Doctor degrees": "Doctorados" with different specialization areas. For example a person bearing a PhD in Structural Engineering is a "Doctor en Ingeniería Estructural", who must be, in this case, a civil engineer bearing a Licenciatura degree, who kept on studying a post degree in structural engineering.
    There are other post-degree ("postgrados" in Spanish) that do not require a licence degree in their field, like certain architecture spezializations or business administration.
    Hope this helps!
    In Argentina, these are the periods to obtain the different types of degrees, after having finished secondary school:
    Diplomatura (1 year or less. Rarely 2 years)
    Tecnicatura or tecnicatura superior: (from 2 1/2 years to 3 1/2 depending on the academic institution)
    Licenciatura or profesorado (4 1/2 to 5 1/2 years in national universities, 4 o 4 1/2 years in private universities)
    Soft engineerings (5 years in national universities, 4 years in private universities)
    Hard engineerings (6 years in national universities, 5 years in private universities)
    Medicine, veterinary, dentistry (6 years)
    Maestría (2 years after having obtained a licenciatura, profesorado, engineering or health sciences degrees)
    Doctorados (up to 6 years after having obtain a licenciatura, profesorado, engineering or health sciences degrees)

    I hope It helps ;)

    I also found this link from the University of Cornell: