licensed hunters can lease the hunting rights

< Previous | Next >

sasako

German
Good evening,

could you please tell me if the following sentence is correct? Or is there a way to experss otherwise what is expressed in it?
My question is about the correct use of the expressions "shooting preserves" and "licensed hunters". I am not quite sure if you can "lease" the hunting rights, as well, but this seemed the best translation to me.

In the German hunting system, there are shooting preserves where licensed hunters can lease the hunting rights.

Thank you
sasako

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    "shooting preserves" and "licensed hunters" sound perfectly fine to me. As far as "leasing the hunting rights", this would be more of a legal question than a language question. Since we don't know the intent of the document you're translating, we can't say whether "lease" is the right word or not.

sasako

German
    The problem is that the German hunting system is quite different from the American and the British one.
    I would express that in Germany, a hunter usually leases (or "rents") the rights to hunt on a specific hunting ground. This means that the owner of a piece of land has not automatically the right to hunt there, but has to "lease" these rights (usually from the state).

I know about the legal situation, but I find it complicated to put in into the right words...

sdgraham

USA English
    "Lease" is very common in the U.S. with respect to paying for the privilege of hunting on a person's property for a specified period of time, normally one year (actually the hunting season).

< Previous | Next >