lie above 2% on 50 occasions

Huda

arabic-Egypt
Please help me.
Would anyone please help me understand the following underlined sentence?

<-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Yet conveying uncertainty increases the complexity of a message. This is a major challenge. It is easy to tweet “BoE forecasts 2% growth.” The fan chart’s true meaning – “If economic circumstances identical to today were to prevail on 100 occasions, the MPC’s best collective judgment is that the mature estimate of GDP growth would lie above 2% on 50 occasions and below 2% on 50 occasions” – doesn’t even fit within Twitter’s 140-character limit.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Andygc

British English
    The fan chart shows the range of possible outcomes. The centre line is the middle of the range. 50% of the possible outcomes are higher and 50% are lower than the middle of the range.

Huda

arabic-Egypt
    Please help me.
    Would anyone please help me understand the following underlined sentence?

<-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Yet conveying uncertainty increases the complexity of a message. This is a major challenge. It is easy to tweet “BoE forecasts 2% growth.” The fan chart’s true meaning – “If economic circumstances identical to today were to prevail on 100 occasions, the MPC’s best collective judgment is that the mature estimate of GDP growth would lie above 2% on 50 occasions and below 2% on 50 occasions” – doesn’t even fit within Twitter’s 140-character limit.

Thanks in advance.
    These lines are excerpted from an article entitled "Restoring Trust in Expertise" by Minouche Shafik.
    Restoring Trust in Expertise

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The word "lie" here just means "be". Be above 2%, be below 2%.

This specific meaning of "lie" is "to be located in a specific place". It is unusual to use this word (with this meaning) about numbers. It is more often used about geography:

In the middle of those hills lies a small fertile valley.

He owns all the land lying along the coast.

< Previous | Next >