Lier vs. Relier

latinohanino

England, English
Hello,
Can anybody please tell me the difference between 'lier' and 'relier'. I have been using them in sentences such as "les souvenirs sont reliés à l’Histoire", and "Les souvenirs et la fiction sont inextricablement liés dans les récits de témoignage".
Thank you very much, in advance.

• tilt

French French
    In other contexts, relier and lier may really differ but here, I would say they are synonyms.
    Maybe, relier implies a kind of hierarchy between the elements, that lier don't. With relier, one comes necessarly before the other one.

sylber

Hello, yes, there is little or no difference in the c ontext suggested, but otherwise, I'd say that 'relier' implies that one establishes or creates a link while 'lier' would mean that the link is inherent. Perhaps...

pieanne

Belgium/French
    Well, I do see a difference here...
    "Reliés" would be "linked with" (as in "have something to do with), and "liés" "intertwined" (you can't tell which is which)

La Ricaine

USA (American English)
    It's a matter of:

(Relier) "The memories are related to/associated with History (or "the Story", context unclear)
    versus
    (Lier) "The memories (memoires?) & fiction are inextricably tied/connected/linked in testimonial accounts"

Essentially, same basic definition of connectedness, with different connotations associated.

Splink

Anglais/English
    Un pont d'une centaine de mètres relie le village à la rive gauche de la rivière.

Why not "lie le village" ?

< Previous | Next >