Life caricatures from live dogs

maximka

Russian &
If I need to say that I can draw cаricature/portrait from a real dog, who is sitting before me (it is not drawing from photograph), how I need to say:

I do life cаricatures from live dоgs?

I draw live cаricatures from life dоgs?

I draw live cаricatures from dоg sitters?

And the same question about drawing people.

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Your caricatures are not alive: they are drawings on paper. So using the adjectives "live" or "life" about your caricatures is incorrect. You can use "live" to refer to your model (a dog or a person).

"I draw caricatures of live models (dogs and people)."

I imagine it is difficult to get the dogs to remain still! Perhaps some of the people, too.:)

Edit: within the field of art, there is a term "life drawing", which is used to mean drawing using a naked model. I don't think this term is a good fit for what you do.

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    It’s a very specific thing you are trying to say. ‘Drawing from life’ is correct but ‘drawing live dogs’ suggests that there are artists who draw dead dogs. :eek:

maximka

Russian &
    dojibear, Scrawny goat, thank you!

What about "I draw live cаricatures of dоgs"? Or "I draw live traditional cаricatures of dоgs"?

And about people "I draw live portraits of people"?

In Wikipedia_Figure_drawing (in the very first paragraph of that artcle) I found phrase 'A "life drawing" is a drawing of the human figure from observation of a live model'. In that article they do not specify is that model nude or not.

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    dojibear, Scrawny goat, thank you!

What about "I draw live cаricatures of dоgs"? Or "I draw live traditional cаricatures of dоgs"?

And about people "I draw live portraits of people"?

In Wikipedia_Figure_drawing I found phrase 'A "life drawing" is a drawing of the human figure from observation of a live model'. In that article they do not specify is that model nude or not.
    No. They are not ‘live portraits’. They are ‘portraits from life’.

maximka

Russian &
    At another article (wikipedia.org/Model_art) just now I found phrase:

"... drawing the human figure from living models was considered the most effective way to develop the skill of draftsmanship. First, it is best to draw from life, rather than copying two dimensional images such as photographs".

Also from the same article: "Models for life drawing classes are usually nude".

May it be: "I draw caricatures from living dogs",
    or "I draw life caricatures from living dogs",
    or "I do life drawings of caricatures from living dogs",
    or "I draw dog caricatures from living models"?

maximka

Russian &
    May it be also:

"I draw caricatures of living dogs",
    "I draw caricatures of live dogs",
    "I draw caricatures of dogs from life",
    "I draw live caricatures of dogs",
    "I draw life caricatures of dogs"?

Language Hound

American English
    The word sitting is used in photography, painting, and drawing.
    The American Heritage Dictionary defines it as:
    2. A period during which one is seated and occupied with a single activity, such as posing for a portrait or reading a book.
    Technically, I don't think you really have to be seated now; you can also be standing as you pose.
    So, you could say that you schedule sittings to do caricatures.
    For what it's worth, I found the following online here: "Live Caricature Sittings..."
    Personally, I find "live" redundant. After all, what other kind of sittings are there?!!

maximka

Russian &
    Language Hound, thank you!

How would you advise to name a section on a website about those dog caricatures (which were drawn not from photos) - could it be something like “Caricatures of dogs from life” or “Caricatures of dogs drawn from life” or or somehow else?

maximka

Russian &
    P.S.

In Lithuanian and Russian languages, when you need to say that you draw a portrait of a real person who is your model and sits before your eyes, you simply say “I am drawing a portrait from nature” (literal translation).

sdgraham

USA English
    Rather than get hung up on the living part, I would take the opportunity to use something catchy and alliterative.

I'd go for "Canine Caricatures."

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I'm just 'throwing this out' for discussion: I have a couple of artist friends who paint "animal portraits". Mostly they rely on photos of the subject, taken while alive.
    'Charicature' is something very different from 'portraiture', or 'representation', whether human, animal, or vegetable.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I suggest "I draw caricatures of your dog." There will always be someone who brings along a dead dog, but, hey! They're a paying customer too.

maximka

Russian &
    Rather than get hung up on the living part, I would take the opportunity to use something catchy and alliterative.

I'd go for "Canine Caricatures."
    The name of the site already consists of these words (in the singular). And there is one section about drawing dogs from photos and another section about drawing real live dogs (as I call it "nature drawing"). And I do not know how to give a right name to that second section.

Last edited:

maximka

Russian &
    'Caricature' is something very different from 'portraiture', or 'representation', whether human, animal, or vegetable.
    Yes, it is about cаricatures of dogs, not about portraits of dogs. Caricаture is drаwing with biggеr or lessеr exаggeration of feаtures of thosе dоgs. Portrаit is drаwing without аny exаggeration.

Last edited:

Language Hound

American English
    ...How would you advise to name a section on a website about those dog caricatures (which were drawn not from photos) - could it be something like “Caricatures of dogs from life” or “Caricatures of dogs drawn from life” or or somehow else?
    If this section is filled with caricatures that you have done, you could call it "Caricatures from Sittings."
    Your other section of caricatures you have done from photos could be "Caricatures from Photos."

< Previous | Next >