life got in the way of a perfectly good crisis

Ana Castro

portuguese Brazil
Hi there,

Could you tell me if I got the meaning of the sentence?

"As was usually the case in the Benning household, life got in the way of a perfectly good crisis"

"... life continued to be something difficult to deal with but they pretended everything was ok?"

thanks
Ana

• french4beth

US-English
    Hi Ana,

I think it may mean something slightly different - some people aren't happy unless they're in the middle of a crisis (drama queens or drama junkies). However, it sounds as though whatever "crisis" was happening at the Bennington's house was quickly forgotten about as everyone went about their regular daily activities. So, maybe there really was no 'crisis'.

JamesM

My impression is that it is a humorous reversal of the typical construction:

"A crisis got in the way of a perfectly good life."

To me, it emphasizes that the family is always in crisis but day-to-day demands required them to continue. Depending on the context, it could be a humorous remark or a bittersweet one. They might actually treat daily demands as an annoying interruption of their current pet crisis.

It reminds me of something people often say (humorously) about ice hockey:

"You never know when a game will break out in the middle of the fight." ;)

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    It sounds like an ironic comment.
    It would appear that the Benning family make mountains out of molehills so that a small problem takes on the appearance of a major crisis but then everybody calms down and life goes on.

Ana Castro

portuguese Brazil
    Well, based on the context I think the sentence means that things calm down and are put off until a later time and they go back to their routine (they have to) as if nothing had happened.

Thanks to everyone who helped me to reach a conclusion.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    You have the advantace of context whereas we have the sentence stand alone. There are various interpretations of the sentence depending on context as is often the case with English which is so context based.

< Previous | Next >