Life is passing me by

maprang

Thailand
Hello,

Can anyone help me with this?
If someone say, "Life is passing me by", what does they mean exactly?

Thanks.

• Ed the Editor

Hi Maprang,

It means that the person is missing something important in his or her life, not experiencing the things that he or she wants to.

Maybe the person has never been in love, or never had a good job, or never visited all the places that he or she wants to.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
    Ed

hohodicestu

Mexico - Spanish
    I would interpret “life is passing me by” as not being able to achieve our goals. Maybe we’re concentrate on doing something that we don’t like for so long, but we are still doing it because of love, because we have to or maybe just because we’re afraid of risking our positions and move on.

tans07

Hindi, India
    Hi,

What I understood is " Though life is moving ahead,however, the excitement, enthusiasm and zeal is missing".

PKTO

English, Canada
    The person who utters this expression is lamenting the fact that he or she is merely existing and not truly living. Living a good life means many things to many different people as you can see by the number and variety of responses you have received thus far.

mgarizona

US - American English
    One "wrinkle" in this expression that doesn't seem to have been touched on, a sense that:

"I'm getting older and I'm running out of time to do all the things I've always wanted to do but postponed doing (in order to take care of more mundane concerns)."

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This is the kind of wistful statement put into the mind/voice of someone who, through force of circumstances, has not been able to take advantage of the opportunities life has had on offer - the opportunities that others have been able to pick up and enjoy.

It is usually the background to a sudden change of mental attitude as a result of which our hero throws herself with gusto into preparation for, and the successful undertaking of, a barefoot walk backwards around the world.

Ahmed Al Saady

Arabic
    Hi everyone!
    Does the following sentence make sense—if it's penned in a poem?
    He regretted every moment/year that passed him by before meeting her.
    Thank you!

mgarizona

US - American English
    Hi everyone!
    Does the following sentence make sense—if it's penned in a poem?
    He regretted every moment/year that passed him by before meeting her.
    Thank you!
    It makes sense, but it's also redundant. Regret is built into the notion of time that 'passed him by'. You couldn't write, for example, "He cherished every moment that (had) passed him by before meeting her". Does that make sense?

You probably want: He regretted every moment that had passed before he met her. Or on the other hand: He felt as though every moment of his life before he met her had simply passed him by.

< Previous | Next >