Life's philosophy

< Previous | Next >

igruwka

russian France
Hello everybody!

What is the word in english to express the term of life's philosophy? It usually refers to some sort of slogan for example "hakuna matata" or "dont immitate, innovate". I need a formal word that would replace "my attitude toward..." or "my aim is..." I'm not sure if it's clear my explanation of what I need, but I hope from all your suggestions there will be at least one that would fit! Thanks!!!

• igruwka

russian France
    You could also use a "byword", but I don't know if it's more formal.
    how about an expression that would express the same idea? It's for a motivation letter ( you know, where you explain why you are so wonderful and what is your mantra) to potential employer so it has to be pretty formal

savannah

English, USA
    This may be a bit too academic, or perhaps sound strange outside the ivory tower, but I think I'd generally be understood if I used the term Weltanschauung, which is of course German, but has been adopted into English, and means precisely what you're looking to express.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I disagree, savannah. I don't imagine many people have ever heard the word spoken, nor read it in print.

Precept does it for me. A general rule intended to direct behaviour or thought.

savannah

English, USA
    I disagree, savannah. I don't imagine many people have ever heard the word spoken, nor read it in print.

Precept does it for me. A general rule intended to direct behaviour or thought.

It could be that you're right; I tend to hang out with philosophers (which can be damaging to one's social life and general ability to communicate :)).

But I think, too, that precept is too narrow; it refers to a single rule, whereas I think "philosophy of life" has more of a sense of "total outlook" on life.

< Previous | Next >