lift-off

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering whether the underlined part mean:

"December, but more than enough to reassure the Fed that lift-off should not yet be aborted. The labour market is better than market turbulence as a barometer of the real economy.?"

Context: It is from Economist Espresso and the title is "Rate-setters’ remorse: jobs and the Fed." It tells of the labour market is a good indicator of economy.

Rate-setters’ remorse: jobs and the Fed

• Sun14

Chinese
    I checked it but there are only two entries:

• the action of an aircraft in becoming airborne or of a rocket in rising from its launching site under its own power.
    • the instant when such action occurs.
    I don't think any one it can fit into.

Delvo

American English
    In economics or any other context other than a flying vehicle, it's a metaphor, meaning the beginning of a big & important event.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Sun, you started quoting in the middle of a sentence. It would have been clearer to you and everyone if you had included a full four-sentence quote, which would have been: "Was December’s interest-rate increase a mistake? . . . The Federal Reserve looks unlikely to raise again in March: on Wednesday Bill Dudley, head of the New York Fed, warned that financial conditions were “considerably tighter” than a few weeks ago. But December’s decision was founded on a strong labour market. Analysts expect today’s employment report to show 188,000 jobs were created in January—down from a bumper 292,000 in December, but more than enough to reassure the Fed that lift-off should not yet be aborted."

The other definition of "lift-off" has nothing to do with spaceships. If you kept reading in the WR dictionary, you'd see: "the launching or commencement of a project".

The reference is to the potential March interest-rate increase.

< Previous | Next >