Lifting keel, or daggerboard (on a sailing boat)

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by TonyMS, Sep 16, 2008.

  1. TonyMS Member

    Huntingdon UK
    English UK
    Many small sailing boats have lifting keels. Can anyone tell me the Spanish term for these please?

  2. pacosancas Senior Member

    Spanish (Spain- Castilian)

    There are two expressions in Spanish which might be what you're looking for:

    Orza de sable: a keel which slides up or down, and that is not mechanically linked to the boat. (I think this is the most appripriate for a daggerblade, but I'm no expert in sailing boats)

    Orza abatible: a keel which pivots up or down around an axis, physically linked to the boat.
  3. TonyMS Member

    Huntingdon UK
    English UK
    Many thanks, Tony

Share This Page