light air rigs

OlgaZi

russian
Hello!
I am reading the "Papaya" by Thomas McGuane.

What is light air rigs?
Context: "He had been a boy of his time and place, Florida in the last third of the twentieth century, one of the thousands who thought they could sail away to happiness in some tropical escape: wooden sailboats with light air rigs, acoustic guitars, and reckless girls".

As far as I understand light air rigs is a type of boat's rig for light air, but my question is: why light air rigs (according to context) is a tropical paradise attribute?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In boating terms,

air = wind.

The rig = the manner in which the sails are set. In this case, to take best advantage of a light wind/lighter winds.

OlgaZi

russian
    Ok. Thank you. But do you know why this detail (with light air rigs) was added? There light winds prevail in tropics?
    I can't understand why light air rigs is alongside with acoustic guitars and reckless girls...

My country is not in tropics at all, so I am have no ideas.
    P.S. In that story tropics=Bahamas.

Andygc

British English
    It's an example of the lack of reality shown by the young man - the wind always blowing gently, sitting around playing or listening to guitars, readily-available sex.

The real world - hurricanes, going to work, women who are choosy about who they sleep with.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    There light winds prevail in tropics?
    That is a question about meteorology, not English, but, 'sometimes'.
    I can't understand why light air rigs is alongside with acoustic guitars and reckless girls...
    I assume you were not a young man in the last third of the twentieth century...

Can you, for one moment, imagine what a young man would think of the opportunity to be sailing on tropical seas, with his acoustic guitar and some rather charming but reckless young ladies?
    My country is not in tropics at all,
    Neither is the UK but I know what tropical seas and the Bahamas looks like...

All I now need is a guitar... :D

OlgaZi

russian
    Thank you for your thoughts.
    I like explanation that this detail emphasize "lack of reality shown by the young man".
    May be he really dreamed about permanent good sunny calm whether alongside with acoustic guitars and reckless girls...

Sorry for my dedication to details, but I have a theory, that a good writer never writes any detail for no reason.

< Previous | Next >