'Light' as an adjective for physical appearance

ortak

Turkish
Hello friends
I looked in the dictionary but I couldn't see any usage of physical appearance. Do you use it in your daily conversation to mean thin, slim ??
Thanks in advance.

• Loob

English UK
    Hi ortak

No, I don't use it for appearance, though I do use it for weight: She was so light that he could pick her up with one hand.

Afterthought:
    Sorry, I should have said that I don't use it for physical appearance with the meaning "thin" or "slim": I might use it for physical appearance as the opposite of "dark" eg she was very light-skinned.

Last edited:

papakapp

English - NW US
    Hello friends
    I looked in the dictionary but I couldn't see any usage of physical appearance. Do you use it in your daily conversation to mean thin, slim ??
    Thanks in advance.
    The adjective form of light is lithe I think. But there is a chance that they are completely different words. Regardless, "lithe" is the word you are looking for.

Last edited:

Lis48

English - British
    Light when used to describe a person usually in the literary world refers to character i.e. frivolous, insincere, inconsistent e.g. Browning´s poem "A Light Woman" or Henry James' short story "The Light Man" which described people who did not take things very seriously.
    But today we do as Loob and PP say, use it for light in weight.
    Can you give us the full sentence?

< Previous | Next >