"Light down" horse context ?

Helper's Help

Français
Hi everyone,

I'm reading an old scottish ballad called Thomas The Rhymer and I stumbled upon this. Just a bit of context : (spoiler alert ^^ ) it's a faery who comes pick up this Thomas in order to bring him back in the fairyland. (Yeah, it is abduction! ) She rides a horse and he's behind her, horsemounted too. They've been riding for forty days and nights and :

O the rade on and further on,
Until they came to a garden green:
'Light down light down, ye ladie free,
Some of that fruit let me pull to thee'

I'm trying to improve my old scottish, so if anyone could help me figure out the intent of the two last lines, it would be really grat,

Thanks a lot,

• Helper's Help

Français
    Thank you Itisi !

May I ask what the whole thing means (I get the intent, but it always bugs me when I'm not able to understand specific bits.

"Ye ladie free ?"

Thanks again,

Itisi

English UK/French
    See
    Thomas the Rhymer - Wikipedia
    "Then she wheels around her milk-white steed and lets Thomas ride on the crupper behind (A, C) or she rides the dapple-gray while he runs (B, E).(...) They reach a "garden green," and Thomas wants to pluck a fruit to slake his hunger but the queen interrupts, admonishing him that he will be accursed or damned (A, B, D, E)."
    Seems to be a slightly different version, but it's quite clear that it's 'lady'.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    O the rade on and further on, O they rode on and further on
    Until they came to a garden green: until then came to a well-kept/pleasant garden
    'Light down light down, ye ladie free, 'Dismount, dismount noble lady
    Some of that fruit let me pull to thee' Let me pick some of that fruit for you.

< Previous | Next >