Senior Member
Polish/English - bilingual

I have a problem identifying the difference. In polish, there is a clear determination upon the difference between thunder and lightning. The first one is the sound we hear when the lightning strikes and the lightning itself is a thing we see. How's that in english? Is colocation "thunder flash" possible?
  • JulianStuart

    Senior Member
    English (UK then US)
    Thunder is the sound and lightning is the light - same in English as in Polish. (We capitalize countries) So, no, you can't have a thunderflash. You can have a thunderclap - the sound that sounds like an explosion.
    < Previous | Next >