lights up Commons

coquita

Español (Argentina)
Hi,
Could you give me another word for "light up" in this headline?:

"Smoking debate lights up Commons" (The article is about passing a law to ban smoking on public places)

I've searched the dictionaries and found "ignite" as a suitable synonym, but I'm not completely sure.

Thanks!

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    You cannot really change it.
    A person who is about to smoke a cigarette "lights up".
    "lights up" also means "casts some light upon" and "brightens". I imagine that there were some witty remarks made in the debate thus giving the headline a couple of punning meanings.

"Ignite a cigarette" means the same as "light up a cigarette" but it loses the jokes, and is not a phrase which is ever used.

shamblesuk

England, English
    As the House of Commons is a dull place I suspect it implies that the debate brought some light into the dour surroundings.

DaleC

shamblesuk said:
    As the House of Commons is a dull place I suspect it implies that the debate brought some light into the dour surroundings.
    This is how I understand it. Plus of course it's a pun.

"light up" a place or a gathering has at least two figurative meanings: (1) to make it cheery (cheer inducing); (2) to make it exciting, stimulating.

In the Anglophone world, it's standard practice to make punning headlines for all but the most solemn topics, in order to entice people to read the article.