lijderlijk

ajparis

American English
Hello, I'm dealing with a comical song popular in American theaters in the late 18th century, "Ik ben lijderlijk," spelled many different ways. I take it that the word "lijderlijk" is rather obsolete, I find it translated as "pathetic," "patient," or "suffering." Unfortunately I don't have much context. There is one painting of John Durang singing it in a sketch called "The Dutch Fisherman," where he looks rather playful, not at all pathetic. Could anyone suggest a possible translation with this little information? Is it possible that anyone knows the song?

• eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    Liederlijk= Losbandig = ? Debauched is very strong. Promiscuous I don't like. Profligate perhaps, but that's a word I'm not familiar with...
    @others: What does VD Ned/Eng say for losbandig/Liederlijk ?

ajparis

American English
    Thank you for answering, eno2, I've been tending to other problems.
    Since the context is definitely playful and flirtatious, as well as comical, I'm probably going to think on it and perhaps recraft it a bit differently, maybe without "I am..." Maybe "I Love the Pleasures of the Flesh" or something like that... or even not give a translation per se, just an idea...