like a cat holding a fiddle [+ nursery rhyme]

sophi979

Serbo-Croatian
One woman is holding a baby. Her friend tells her she looks like a cat holding a fiddle. What does she mean by that? Does she look awkward? Weird? Funny?

Thanks

• The Scrivener

Banned
    England. English
    One woman is holding a baby. Her friend tells her she looks like a cat holding a fiddle. What does she mean by that? Does she look awkward? Weird? Funny?

Thanks
    Hi sophi,

Yes, she obviously looks very awkward - as a cat holding a fiddle (violin) would.

This reminds me of the nursery rhyme, "Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle."

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I wonder how this relates to the nursery rhyme?

Hey, diddle, diddle!
    The cat and the fiddle,
    The cow jumped over the moon;
    The little dog laughed
    To see such sport,
    And the dish ran away with the spoon.

I remember reading that this nursery rhyme was actually political satire of sorts; for example, Dish and Spoon were purportedly servants who ran away from the employ of some member of the nobility or of royalty. I'm sure the BE forum members will know plenty more.

The Scrivener

Banned
    England. English
    I wonder how this relates to the nursery rhyme?

Hey, diddle, diddle!
    The cat and the fiddle,
    The cow jumped over the moon;
    The little dog laughed
    To see such sport,
    And the dish ran away with the spoon.

I remember reading that this nursery rhyme was actually political satire of sorts; for example, Dish and Spoon were purportedly servants who ran away from the employ of some member of the nobility or of royalty. I'm sure the BE forum members will know plenty more.
    Some good references here, biblio.

"The Cat and Fiddle" is also a very popular name for British pubs and inns.

< Previous | Next >