like a chauffeur

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 135, Chapter 7) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Connie was outing in the forest, and then went to Mellors' hut, watching him working ..……)

A wet brown dog came running and did not bark, lifting a wet feather of a tail. The man followed in a wet black oilskin jacket, like a chauffeur, and face flushed a little. She felt him recoil in his quick walk, when he saw her. She stood up in the handbreadth of dryness under the rustic porch. He saluted without speaking, coming slowly near. She began to withdraw.

Why did Lawrence compare Mellors into a chauffeur please? Or, what does like a chauffeur mean?

Thank you in advance

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The man followed in a wet black oilskin jacket, which was like an oilskin jacket that a chauffeur would usually wear as part of his uniform,

Here is a picture of a chauffeur in a black, oilskin jacket.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thanks a lot.
    That's really interesting. And judging from his clothes, I can see a chauffeur is also from working class

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    And judging from his clothes, I can see a chauffeur is also from working class
    I'm not sure that you can. The position of chauffeur was reasonably high - upper-working-class - as he had to be relatively skilled. He did not simply drive the car, he also had to repair and maintain it, etc.

His clothes are not the clothes he chose, but are, as I said, more a uniform, which his employer (the man in the passenger seat) would have bought for him.

< Previous | Next >