like it never even happened

Starbuck

USA/English
Salvi a tutti,

My question about the phrase "like it never even happened" relates to the position in the sentence of the words "never" and "even." I'm not sure how a native speaker would say this. The context is rather general and the phrase could refer to any event, after which a person could say "(It was) like it never even happened."

My attempts are as follows:

Era come se non è nemmeno successo mai.
Era come se non sia nemmeno successo mai.

I would appreciate any advice from native speakers.
Grazie in anticipo,
Starbuck :)

• Benzene

Italian from Italy
    I suggest: "It was like it never even happened" = "E' stato come se non fosse mai successo/accaduto".

FYI: I am sorry but, your two attempts are grammatically wrong.

Bye,
    Benzene

Starbuck

USA/English
    Unfortunately the Italian translation can vary depending on the context. So, if there isn't any you should invent it.
    Grazie, Pietruzzo!
    One context would be the following: The summer has flown by very quickly and now we are already in August. In discussing this past summer with a friend, he said to me, "It was like the summer never even happened," meaning that it went by so quickly that it almost didn't exist. I could change my original phrasing and say perhaps, "È stato come se l'estate non fosse mai successo." Is this correct?

"like it never even happened" --> come se non fosse proprio accaduto
    "like it never happened" --> come se non fosse mai accaduto
    Grazie, MoltoMahler, e grazie a tutti per i tuoi consigli!

MoltoMahler

Italian
    Grazie, MoltoMahler, e grazie a tutti per i tuoi consigli!
    Wait though, that translation made sense only before knowing that it was referred to the summer, in which case it's not good. Personally, I can't find a single verb to describe a summer that goes by fast and almost unnoticed without altering the structure of the sentence. I would say something like "Certo che l'estate è proprio volata; è come se dalla primavera fossimo passati direttamente all'autunno".
    The previous suggestion can be applied to events and occurrences, but I wouldn't use it for seasons or for things in general.

Starbuck

USA/English
    Ancora una volta, grazie a tutti!
    C'era un errore nella mia frase perché la parola "estate" è femminile.

Un altro tentativo:

È stato/stata come se l'estate non fosse mai successa.

Spiacente!
    Starbuck

symposium

Italian - Italy
    Più letterale (e anche più frequente in italiano, almeno a me sembra): "Come se non fosse neanche successo (qualcosa)/ come se non ci fosse neanche stata (l'estate)".

< Previous | Next >