Like someone very much away

< Previous | Next >

Gloriousfall

Chinese
I come across with the sentence below and am quite confused because it sounds kind of vague:

"He had three small girls but it was painful to think of because Lauren, his wife, liked them very much away."

Does this suggest that the couple were separated and the wife likes the kids to stay with her (thus away from the father)?

Appreciate your kind help!!

• MikeMc

USA
    English-US
    It doesn't make too much sense as written; some context would be helpful. I think your guess is as good as any.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    There is not enough contextual information. My guess would not necessarily be that they are separated, but that his wife likes the children to be away from her. She is happier when they are out of the house.

Gloriousfall

Chinese
    MikeMc and Edinburgh, thank you both so much!

Actually this sentence stands quite alone. It's the last one of a small section. The previous paragraph is as below, but I don't think it helps:

"Beth had a brother, Robin, in Florida, who was on a plane home for their father as they spoke. He was successful and glamorous in a square-shouldered, flawless, American way. He loved Miami. The air he said was ‘milky’. She couldn’t imagine what that meant. Soft? It sounded lovely in any case. She ought to visit him one day. Nowhere in the world, she had heard, she had read, would you encounter more glamorous women in the 100– 110 age bracket. That was encouraging.

He had three small girls but it was painful to think of because Lauren, his wife, liked them very much away."

I think I'll go with Edinburgher's suggestion, just so not to read too much into it. Thanks again!

< Previous | Next >