Like the mascots for huge....for interpreting ...

LQZ

Mandarin
Like the mascots for huge worldwide events such as Olympics and World Cup,the mascot of World Expo is very important for interpreting the theme and expressing the culture.

Dear all,

The above is taken from a Chinese journal. I am sorry for not supplying a link because it often doesn't work. :(
My questions is whether it is not idiomatic English. To me, both "the"s are wrongly used. That is, I would say "like other mascots for huge event" and "(without any article)mascot of World Expo". And I would use "to interpret " to substitute for "for interpreting", since I understand it as a purpose.
Looking forward to your opinons, thanks.

LQZ

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    No, I think the original sentence is fine in regards to the articles you've bolded. You could substitute in "other" if you wanted, but omitting the second "the" would be incorrect.

The use of "for" doesn't seem particularly bad to me either, though later parts of the second clause would benefit from a rewrite.
    I dislike how "... interpreting the theme and expressing the culture." lack modifiers of any kind.

Something like the following is what I would have expected:
    "... interpreting the theme of the conference and expressing the culture of the host country."

jpyvr

English - Canadian
    I think that the sentence is correct as written. The use of the definite article is a very tricky thing to learn, but let me try to help a bit. In this text, in the first clause, the author is speaking of a very particular group of mascots, those for huge worldwide events. He/She is not speaking of the concept of mascots in general - therefore, "the" is appropriate.

In the second clause, the use of mascot is even more specific, it's "the" mascot of World Expo. Therefore, the use of "the" is obligatory here.

Prepositions are also difficult, as they cannot be translated directly from one language to another. In English, the longer phrase "for the purpose of" is often shortened to "for". If you replace the "for" in front of interpreting with "for the purpose of" you can see why "for is appropriate.

xqby

English (U.S.)
    Come to think of it, I would argue that the sentence lacks several articles.

"Like the mascots for huge worldwide events such as the Olympics and the World Cup, the mascot of the World Expo is very important for interpreting..."

Myridon

English - US
    While we're being picky, "... the mascots for ... the mascot of ..." is not properly parallel. I would prefer "of" but I think "for" also works, but it would be better if they were both the same.

< Previous | Next >