Like two peas in a pod

elliot5200

English
Hello,

I'm curious how you say 'two peas in a pod' in other languages, i.e. two very similar people or two people made for each other

So far I've got (mostly from Googling):
Como dos gotas de agua (Spanish - like two drops of water)
Mesl-e sibi ke az vasat nesf shode - Persian; Like an apple cut in half / like two halves of an apple
kubek w kubek, Polish; Mug into a mug
Als twee handen op één buik - Dutch; like two hands on one stomach

Lots of expressions from other languages seem to include 'two drops of water' so I'm ideally looking for different examples

Thanks very much!

• Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Cymraeg/Welsh

Yr un ffunud â'i gilydd = Identical to each other/The spitting image of each other

But 'ffunud' according to GPC may derive from 'ffun' (= breath). So, we might read it as, '(Of) The same breath as each other.'

(No peas were harmed in the making of this post.)

Greek:

«Σαν δυο σταγόνες νερό» [ˌs̠an ˈðʲo̞ staˈɣo̞ne̞s̠ ne̞ˈɾo̞] --> like two drops of water.
    «Σαν κώλος και βρακί» [ˌs̠aŋ ˈgo̞lo̞s̠ ce̞ vraˈci] --> like arse and kecks (a bit vulgar but not offensive; it's said for two people that are made for each other).

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    @apmoy70

Reminds me of the expression often used by Scottish nationalist with respect of the Conservative and Labour psarties in Scotland (neither of whom support Scottish independence).

"Two cheeks of the same erse."

raamez

Arabic
    I heard متل حبة فول وانقسمت بالنص in Arabic which means (They are) like a fava bean which was split in half

Pietruzzo

Italian
    In Italian we have "Sono come due gocce d'acqua" (they are like two drops of water) for two people who are very similar but we wouldn't use it for two people who are made for each other. Curiously enough the literal translation "Come due piselli in un baccello" is quite well-known because it was used in the Italian-dubbed version of the movie "Sons of the desert", starring S. Laurel and O. Hardy. However they used this expression to say that they were comfortable in a tiny bed.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    two very similar people or two people made for each other
    I don't think it means "made for each other": that's a completely different meaning. Two people can be made for each other without being very similar at all, and two people can be similar without being made for each other.
    I heard متل حبة فول وانقسمت بالنص in Arabic which means (They are) like a fava bean which was split in half
    The version I know (in Palestinian Arabic) is simply فولة وانقسمت ("a fava bean that has been split").

(By the way, for "made for each other (and also actually together)," we have طنجرة ولاقت غطاها ("a pot that has found its lid") in Palestinian Arabic.)

Last edited: