like winter thunder <breaking hard in alarm>

Agito a42

Source: The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies (2014), a fantasy movie.

Wizard Gandalf arrives at the Lonely Mountain, where armies of men and elves are about to start waging war on dwarves. He says there are legions of orcs coming their way and they must unite against them. Bard, the leader of the people of Lake-town under the Mountain, has never seen a wizard, so Thranduil, an elven lord, explains to him:
"I can see you know nothing of Wizards. They are like winter thunder on a wild wind, rolling in from a distance, breaking hard in alarm. But sometimes a storm is just a storm."

Could you explain to me the "breaking hard in alarm" part, please? Is it said about the thunder rolling in from a distance or the wizards? What does it mean?

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    They are like... = We may compare them to...

winter thunder
    -> wizards are mysterious and powerful
    on a wild wind, -> a wild wind is a wind that gusts powerfully, consequently the sound of thunder can change quickly and often. -> wizards are unpredictable
    rolling in from a distance, -> the storm/wizard arrives from nowhere but as if it had a purpose
    breaking hard in alarm. -> thunder/wizards bring sudden intense rain/magic
    But sometimes a storm is just a storm.
    -> but this does not happen every time.

Agito a42

Thank you, Paul. Could you, please, elaborate on "breaking hard in alarm"?

Does "break hard" here mean "explode loudly"?

And I wonder if "in alarm" has the same meaning as here:
    WR Random House Learner's Dictionary of AE said:
    alarm:
    1. a sudden fear or feeling of anxiety due to the awareness of danger;
    fright:
    jumped up in alarm.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Does "break hard" here mean "explode loudly"? -> Yes. Suddenly there is a very loud crack of thunder
    And I wonder if "in alarm" has the same meaning as here:-> Yes - that's close enough -> as if startled (into action.)

< Previous | Next >