liked pronounces [laikt]

< Previous | Next >

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering whether the underlined part is idiomatic:

"Liked pronounces [laikt]."

Thoughts and context: I am teaching the simple past tense and I want to pay attention to the pronunciation of this word.

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi Sun14, no, "liked is pronounced ..." Liked is the object, not the subject, of the verb. Liked is not doing the pronouncing, liked is being pronounced.

As I'm sure you know, there are some contexts where an active verb can be used in this way, but this is not one of them, e.g.
    This sweater washes well. (Even though the sweater doesn't do the washing, it is washed.)

Sun14

Chinese
    Hi Sun14, no, "liked is pronounced ..." Liked is the object, not the subject, of the verb. Liked is not doing the pronouncing, liked is being pronounced.

As I'm sure you know, there are some contexts where an active verb can be used in this way, but this is not one of them, e.g.
    This sweater washes well. (Even though the sweater doesn't do the washing, it is washed.)
    Thank you. Thus is it idiomatic to say:

"Liked pronounces [laikt]."

Or is there any other better way to express this?

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi again, no, it's not idiomatic to say "Liked pronounces [laikt]".:cross: You have to say ""Liked is pronounced (as) [laikt]".

Alternatively: this is how we pronounce "liked" - [laikt]"
    Liked is pronounced like this: [laikt]
    The pronunciation of liked is [laikt]
    This is the pronunciation of liked - [laikt]
    The way we/you pronounce liked is like this - [laikt]

Sun14

Chinese
    Hi again, no, it's not idiomatic to say "Liked pronounces [laikt]".:cross: You have to say ""Liked is pronounced (as) [laikt]".

Alternatively: this is how we pronounce "liked" - [laikt]"
    Liked is pronounced like this: [laikt]
    The pronunciation of liked is [laikt]
    This is the pronunciation of liked - [laikt]
    The way we/you pronounce liked is like this - [laikt]
    A more specific relevant question:

Ed is pronounced /t/.

Context: When I point at ed of liked and say this.

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Since the word "like" ends in -e, the past tense is formed by adding "d" (not "ed.")

So, the word liked is pronounced with a final sound of /t/ (with all the possible suggestions on how to say this given to you by Enquiring Mind).

Sun14

Chinese
    Since the word "like" ends in -e, the past tense is formed by adding "d" (not "ed.")

So, the word liked is pronounced with a final sound of /t/ (with all the possible suggestions on how to say this given to you by Enquiring Mind).
    Got it. Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >