likely to make their acquaintance.

< Previous | Next >

Tyrion Lann

INDIA -Hindi
Hello folks.

Perhaps the man who never wanders away from the place of his birth may pass all his life without knowing ghosts; but the nomad is more than likely to make their acquaintance.

Source:- A Ghost by Lafcadio Hearn
I don't get what does the writer mean by " likely to make their acquaintance"?
Please explain.
Thanks.

• Tyrion Lann

INDIA -Hindi
    Nomad is a countable noun, but I think the writer has treated it as an adjective because he further write " I refer to the civilized nomad, whose wanderings are not prompted by hope of gain, nor determined by pleasure, but simply compelled by certain necessities of his being."

lingobingo

English - England
    make the acquaintance of ghosts = come across ghosts

Nomad is only ever a noun. Its adjective is nomadic.

lingobingo

English - England
    It would have to be “it seems as if I know him”, but actually that doesn’t make sense anyway.

You could say: I don’t remember when or where I first made his acquaintance, but we’re firm friends now.

Tyrion Lann

INDIA -Hindi
    I don't remember when and where I made his acquaintance; but it seems as if I have seen him.
    That was the sentence, I think, I wanted to make in my previous post.

lingobingo

English - England
    I don't remember when and where I made his acquaintance; but it seems as if I have seen him.
    That was the sentence, I think, I wanted to make in my previous post.
    Well, I can guess from that what you mean. But it’s not how we would say it.

I’m pretty sure I’ve met him before, but I can’t remember when or where. :tick:

< Previous | Next >