Likewise for the man

< Previous | Next >

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
Other important items are the bride's bouquet of flowers and her garter. These are thrown to the single pwople attending the wedding reception. The woman who catches the flower is believed to be the next one who will marry. Likewise for the man who catches the garter.

The last sentence sounds odd and arkward to me. What do you think if I rewrite it into the following?

Likewise, the man who catches the garter will marry soon.

Is it better or not? Thanks.

• Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Hi quietdandelion. Your sentence is correct and correctly expresses the meaning of the original. The original is a fragment, but fragments are sometimes used to make a point. I'm not sure if that is the case here, though.

If I may just make two tiny corrections in passing, it should be "the woman who catches the flowers (plural)". *That's probably just a typo.) However, we usually say "tosses/catches the bouquet".

The other thing is the spelling of awkward.

:)

Ms Missy

USA English
    Other important items are the bride's bouquet of flowers and her garter. These are thrown to the single pwople attending the wedding reception. The woman who catches the flower is believed to be the next one who will marry. Likewise for the man who catches the garter.

The last sentence sounds odd and arkward to me. What do you think if I rewrite it into the following?

Likewise, the man who catches the garter will marry soon.

Is it better or not? Thanks.
    I would say: Likewise, it is believed that the man who catches the garter will also marry soon.

This way it is no longer a sentence fragment, although fragments are more acceptable in spoken language than in written language.

< Previous | Next >