Liking someone more than a friend

< Previous | Next >

danni-chan

English and Canada
Hi! Its me again. Thats right, the one whose totally hopeless with this stuff.
I need to know how you would tell a close friend
'I like you more then a friend.'
or
'I hope we can be more then friends."
or something along those lines.
Like would be Sukidayo... right? Or is that still love... Suki is love, I know that much.

Romaji Please and thank you.​

• crises

BCN
    EU Spanish/Catalan
    好き (すき, suki) means "to like" and it needs the copula (である, de aru) to create a whole sentence, e.g. 猫が好きです (Neko ga suki desu. I like cats.).

Then, you can say "I like you" using the same pattern:
    [私は]君が好きです。(Watashi wa kimi ga suki desu)

If you add よ (yo) at the end of a sentence you are enphasizing its meaning, i.e. 漫画が好きですよ。(Manga ga suki desu yo. I really like manga!)

Therefore, "suki" (好き) does not mean love. The word love is 愛 (あい, ai) and "to love" is 愛する.

And, about your question: are you saying "more than friends" or "more then friends"?

danni-chan

English and Canada
    Therefore, "suki" (好き) does not mean love. The word love is 愛 (あい, ai) and "to love" is 愛する.
    Geesh, I cant even get that right...

And, about your question: are you saying "more than friends" or "more then friends"?
    I think it would be Than, im not 100% positive though.
    Im not very good at my Language Arts classes as you can tell. I probably should just give up languages all together.

cheshire

Japanese
    No, "suki (好き)" covers both "love" and "like." Most people most of the time avoid saying "aishiteru" because it's a word embarrassingly terekusai (照れくさい).

< Previous | Next >